FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 13, 2001

Contact:
David Morris, Institute for Local Self-Reliance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
612-379-3815
http://www.ilsr.org/

Rejection of Oxygenate Waiver Should Encourage California to Become a
Major Transportation Fuel Producer

President George W. Bush's denial of California's request for a waiver
from the federal fuel oxygenate requirement is unleashing a wave of
outrage and bitterness in that state.   The anger is compounded by the
President's refusal to provide California with any short term relief
from high electricity prices.   And it is fueled by the fact that Archer
Daniels Midland (ADM), the giant ethanol producer, has generously
lavished contributions on political parties and stands to gain the most
from the dramatically expanded market for ethanol.

"The anger is justified", says David Morris, Vice President of the
Minneapolis based Institute for Local Self-Reliance.  "But the good news
is that California can become self-sufficient in ethanol production.
Indeed, in the long run, the President's decision may well spur
California to develop a homegrown transportation fuel industry based on
its well-known leadership in the biotechnology and bioengineering
fields."

California has sufficient corn acreage to supply 50-100 million of the
500-700 million gallons of ethanol it will need to completely replace
MTBE.   It has significant quantities of fruit wastes that can produce
100 million or more additional gallons. It has organic wastes like tree
trimmings, yard waste, rice straw, and other cellulosic resources that
could allow it to produce another 400-600 million gallons a year.

"Five years from now there could be one or two biorefineries in every
California county, producing not only ethanol but higher value
biochemicals", says Morris, who coined the term "carbohydrate economy"
in the early 1980s to describe an economy that relies on plants rather
than fossil fuels as its industrial building blocks.  Morris is the
author of several books on ethanol and biorefineries, and currently
serves on a congressionally mandated council that advises the U.S.
Departments of Energy and Agriculture on energy and agricultural
policies.

Morris points to his home state of Minnesota, where 10 percent of all
transportation fuel is produced in-state from agricultural crops.  There
are 14 biorefineries in Minnesota, and 10 of them are owned by farmers
themselves.  "As a result a significant amount of the money spent at the
pump in Minneapolis stays in the state and benefits rural and farming
communities directly", notes Morris.  California would use different raw
materials for making ethanol, but could have the same large number of
production facilities and the same beneficial impact to an agricultural
and rural sector that has been in recession for several years.

  The Institute for Local Self-Reliance is a 27-year-old nonprofit
research and educational organization supporting environmentally and
economically sound local communities.  For more information visit ILSR's
Carbohydrate Economy web site at http://www.carbohydrateeconomy.org/ or
ILSR's home page at http://www.ilsr.org/

--
John Bailey
Institute for Local Self-Reliance

**********************
The Oil Industry is Creating Gasoline Supply Problems - Ethanol is the Answer

By Trevor Guthmiller, Executive Director, American Coalition for Ethanol

For the second year in a row we are having to deal with exceedingly
high gas prices, especially in the Midwest reformulated gasoline
markets where ethanol is used.  The oil industry, in typical fashion,
is trying to act surprised and is trying to shift the blame to: 1)
the government for requiring "boutique" fuels due to the
"balkanization" of the fuel marketplace; and 2) ethanol because, in
their words, it is so hard to transport and use.

What they don't want to talk about is their industry's support for
some of the boutique fuel requirements around the country.  For
instance, they supported the efforts of some government entities to
adopt low-Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) fuel requirements instead of
reformulated gasoline requirements that would require the fuel be
oxygenated, and heaven forbid, they have to use more ethanol.

More interestingly, the oil industry doesn't seem to want to talk
about what appears to be a deliberate effort to decrease production
of reformulated gasoline, especially in the Midwest where it is
blended with ethanol.  This allows them to drive up the price and to
then shift the blame to ethanol.  In 1999, 358,000 barrels per day of
reformulated gasoline (RFG) was produced in the Midwest (PADD 2).  In
2000, that number dropped to 300,000 barrels per day and gas prices
went through the roof, and the oil industry raked in record profits
while successfully shifting the blame to the government's clean air
requirements and ethanol.  Feeling smug and rich, the oil industry
has apparently decided that last year's efforts to reduce supply
weren't quite enough and so far in 2001, production of reformulated
gasoline in the Midwest has plummeted to only 247,000 barrels per
day, a whopping 31percent reduction in RFG production in two years.

All this while total gasoline production in the Midwest has actually
been increasing.  In 1999, 1,842,000 barrels per day of gasoline were
produced in PADD 2.  So far in 2001, that number has risen to
1,988,000 barrels per day.  An oil industry skeptic might wonder
about their poor planning, especially after last year's experience.
A more cynical person would wonder if this is not just part of their
plan to manipulate the marketplace in order to further their
financial and political goals.

The answer to our energy situation, which affects all segments of our
economy, is greater production and use of renewable fuels like
ethanol and biodiesel.  Increasing production of ethanol and
biodiesel will act as a wedge in the fuel marketplace, filling in the
petroleum industry's production gaps and moderating the escalating
prices for fossil fuels.  The best way to accomplish this is to
create a Renewable Fuels Standard that the oil industry is required
to comply with.  The American Coalition for Ethanol (www.ethanol.org)
favors the establishment of a Renewable Fuels Standard that calls for
an increasing amount of ethanol and biodiesel use every year, as a
way of providing a tangible and measurable way of reducing our
dependence on fossil fuels.

Such a mechanism would take our energy policy, at least in one small
way, out of the hands of the oil companies and put it back into the
public policy arena where it belongs.  Oil and petroleum companies
have to watch out for company performance, stockholder returns and
other business concerns, while public policy needs to balance bigger
and broader concerns, such as our national economic and energy
security needs.  Having a renewable fuels requirement with credit
trading would be a fair and equitable way to create a meaningful
reduction in our fossil fuel use, while at the same time allowing the
various petroleum companies to have a level playing field on which to
operate.  The American Coalition for Ethanol is a strong supporter of
the Renewable Fuels Act of 2001 (S. 670), a bipartisan bill
introduced by Senators Tom Daschle (D-SD) and Richard Lugar (R-IN),
that would establish a Renewable Fuels Standard for our nation's
gasoline.

Establishing a renewable fuels requirement would also provide the
market certainty in a very chaotic energy marketplace that is needed
to give investors the assurance they need to invest in and build new
ethanol plants.  We would hope that this would allow the continued
growth of farmer-owned ethanol plants, where the profits generated
from the processing of the corn they grow are retained in local
areas, benefiting our rural economies.

>From a South Dakota farmer's perspective, things are looking bleak.
>Corn prices are falling while gasoline and diesel fuel prices are
>rising, squeezing their razor thin production margins even thinner.
>Since 1995, the average corn price in South Dakota has fallen by 50
>percent, while just in the last year gasoline prices have risen 22
>percent and diesel fuel prices have risen 9.4 percent.  That is
>above and beyond last year's already high prices.

One of the few bright spots South Dakota and other low corn price
areas have is ethanol.  Properly structured ethanol projects that
farmers can invest in will be a hedge for farmers against low corn
prices and high energy costs.  In times like these, investments in
ethanol processing will provide farmers with some income from the
processing of the corn that they grow.  At the same time, by building
more ethanol plants, they are creating a growing demand for their
corn, which will hopefully stabilize and increase the value of the
corn they grow.

Farmers in Minnesota are now reaping the rewards of their investments
in the ethanol industry during the past decade.  Farmers in other
states are now looking to emulate their success.  This progress will
only continue if we continue to advocate positive public policy that
addresses the broader goals of our nation instead of those that only
serve the interests of a few large corporations that are more
concerned with their business operation than what is good public
policy.

Supporting ethanol and supporting a Renewable Fuels Standard meets
that broad public policy test.  Unlike the oil industry would have
you believe, ethanol is not the problem.  It is the answer.

The American Coalition for Ethanol is a non-profit membership
organization with the mission of promoting the increased production
and use of ethanol.  ACE's membership includes commodity
organizations, rural electric cooperatives, ethanol producers, grain
cooperatives, businesses and individuals.