I have had success with palm oil using the two part alkali method. I
use 5gm/litre NaOH and 120 mls of methanol/litre oil. Allow the oil
to cool after melting as hot spots seem to boil off methanol. The
glycerol at stage 1 settles well after 6hrs but is semisolid, before
that it is liquid but the yield (glycerol) is low. I heat to
~60degrees C to get a good seperation. After stage two I add 1% water
after I have heated the oil and glycerol to retrieve the methanol.
This helps the glycerol to seperate, I will heat it enough to boil
the water in a recalcitrent batch, 2% water at this stage will take
out some soaps with little oil loss. I wash with 12ml/litre 35% HCl
in 100% water and check PH after neutralisation of the Lye. (I am
slowly reducing the HCl)The water breaks well from the product. If
you didn'r remove the soap at stage 2 then the bubble wash may result
in a floating semi solid foam of soap that is easy to remove.
Otherwise it has always been a distinct layer between product and
water. I find it is best to waste up to a litre(5%) of product in the
soap, the product can be retrieved from the soap but affects gelling
adversely.
20l oil gives about 2.5kg glycerol, 1litre soap and ~19litres of
urine colored product.
After washing I heat to 105 degrees to remove the water. In the
mornings this product gells in the fuel drums and stays gelled longer
than the cottonseed product. I have used it at up to 50% with no
starting problems at 7gegrees C. The gell liquifies when shaken.
2.8litre turbo Pajero runs well on 100% cottonseed product but I
would not use the palm oil product at 100% in winter. Even at 20% the
motor seems smoother under load and runs a needle width cooler. Smoky
emmissions are white not black and the fumes do not burn the eyes.
Maybe the mixture changes the ignition process enough to avoid some
of the gases that turn to acids on wet membranes. Tony is working on
the old centripetal pump that we will use to compare power output on
our stationary test motor, actual comparisons will follow.
Regards Harry.