>From another list:

From: Michael Karpov   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Now I would like to propose 2 themes for discussion.
1. We have a very big yeast factories in ex-USSR, yeasts were cultivated
on
wood hydrolysates  or oil fractions. This industry gave up to 1 million
tones of fodder protein per year, but this protein had a very unpleasant
toxic and allergic effects. Latest research found that it was caused by
wild
yeast strains that did replace cultural yeasts in reactors after 2-3
months
of cultivation! Thus, in truth cultural high productive yeasts couldn't
be
used in industrial systems because the system is not stabile. In this
correlation I would like to ask Bachtar Bakrie if he had the experiments
of
A.niger culture using during 5-6 passes on the non-sterile substrates?
Farmers can't buy a pure starter culture every week, they will use
available
filaments of the fungus - like it's when we make a tempeh fermentation."

Thought some might be interested.

Marc de Piolenc