Hi Keith;

You must experiment with fermenting the boiled liquor extract from sugar
cane -- not the pressed/expressed extract.

The boiled extract contains so much more "minerals" -- you need add nothing
-- not even yeast -- for a violent fermentation to start and run to
completion.

I mention a conservative 14% -- but if you optimize sugar levels -- it goes
16% or better.

Boiling may sound energy intensive -- but it is not in the methology I use.

"Pressure-Cooking" -- or extraction by heated, pressurized, water.

Operating at 20 Psi -- 228 F -- for 3 hours. The water does not boil. you
insulate/jacket the pot -- very little heat required to maintain temperature.

I use a bucket in a jacketed drum to get back most of my invested heat when
I transfer pots.

Mind you -- I have to look at all this from village perspective -- no
tractors -- no other machineries -- everything by hand.

If I was "allowed" a few pieces of equipment -- which I have designed --
but probably will never build -- I could really make this process fly!!

Pressurized Soxhlet extraction "tower" (steam) would extract large batches
of pulverized cane (more on that process below) automatically to the proper
sugar in liquor densities required for optimum fermentation.

True -- this would be boiling and condensing -- so energy hungry -- but I
planned to use a small refrigeration cycle power plant to condense -- and
thus extract electrical power. The fuel for this process would be the bagasse.

You can get a rough idea at:

http://www.sterlingsolar.com/engines.htm

Though the device I have in mind to build would be more efficient and simpler.

Even the heat in the hot pressurized liquor -- on exiting -- would be
recovered in this manner.

The internal pressure of this process would also look after pumping liquor
to the fermentation tanks.

Also -- heat transferring from the Soxhlet extraction process -- could
easily power the distillation process when required -- with energy still
being picked up by the refrigeration cycle motor when condensing the alcohols.

This then would be a inclosed system of great efficiency in ethanol from
cane processing.

Pulverizing cane

The Mennonites here have developed an interesting device to pulverize cane
to mix with their animal feeds -- they mix this up to 18% (by weight) with
their regular grains.

It is a Honda 10 HP belt driving a shaft with a regular lawn mower blade
attached to  one end -- the pulley to the other. This blade extends past a
wooden table platform to be enclosed by an appropriate sized truck tire.
The bottom part of this tire -- extending to the bottom -- is cut out.

A 2 in square hole is cut into the side wall even with the table top.

Motor is started. Cane is pushed in a rapid manner through this hole --
cane is pulverized and extracted from bottom.

A very productive system for a minimum of machine power. Sure beats
chopping cane by machete to short lengths and then splitting by machete!

And of course -- the spent products of fermentation make a wonderful feed
supplement as well!

I try to always design for top efficiency -- in any process. We are not so
energy rich here as you folks -- but you certainly can't tell that by
looking how Belizeans live -- for them it is nothing but more waste of
energy -- year by year -- they have adopted the true North American life
style. Burn it all up today -- because tomorrow we all die!

You might catch a few real good "hints" in all the above -- good luck to
you in applying it.

Peter Singfield
Belize / Central America