Hi Todd

Excellent explication, real text-book stuff.

Well, we have to keep up the pressure at that level of things, but I
reckon the more important bit is just to get on and do it at the
micro-processor, local community level. Many people seems to be
thinking along those lines, and more than just thinking. Then, I
guess, comes the battle as the mega-corps and the bureaucrats try to
edge the little guys out, but farmers and local communities who're
already involved in micro-processing will be then by well aware of
the stakes and will fight for it. In so many cases they've already
been reduced to something akin to serfdom by these self-same forces,
and I'm sure they're not blind to that.

> > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010717/bs/farm_scene_74.html
>
> > DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Increasing the demand for soy-based products
> > such as biodiesel would be a significant economic boon to farmers,
> > according to a federal report.
>   [snip]
> > Widespread production of a fuel mix containing biodiesel would have a
> > huge impact on soybean farmers, even if the fuel is only 2 percent
> > biodiesel, Andersen-Schank said. Producing such a mixture would
> > create demand for 600 million gallons of biodiesel oil a year,
> > produced from 400 million bushels of soybeans, she said.
> >
> > Iowa produced 459 million bushels in all of last year.
>
>The 600 million gallons from 400 million bushes of soy indicates solvent
>extraction, necessarily meaning centralized processing, increased
>transportation costs and inevitable market manipulation.
>
>Solvent extraction is so cost prohibitive to small farmers and cooperatives
>that in all probability only mega corps such as ADM and Cargill will be
>candidates financially capable of constructing and operating such
>facilities.

<snip>

>Unfortunately, state and local governments that are tax revenue driven, will
>almost inevitably opt for the excessive infrastructure that is incumbent to
>and supportive of macro-processing and its distribution processes.
>
>State and local governments dedicated to the maintenance and sustainability
>of rural communities through the most efficient streaming of market and tax
>dollars will opt to promote micro-processing facilities.

Are there any such state and local governments? (Genuine question,
not just being sceptical.)

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever