>       I think you'll find that many eco's on this list
> like inheritly safe nukes. I'd love to get a couple of
> the fuel balls from a gas reactor. All the energy I'd
> need for 20 plus years with almost no pollution.

Uhhhh.....Jerry,

Pray tell...How can you be so up on your efficiency  and conversion ratios
on so many fuel sources, but not know about the exhorbidantly phenomenal
energy input and emissions outputs for processing nuclear fuels?

In fact, when taking into consideration all mining, transportation and
processing / enrichment energies for nuclear fuel, there is a greater
consumption than if coal alone had been used to generate the same number of
gigawatts.

Not only is nuclear not energy efficient, it is not clean, as disposal
remains a problem, water and atmospheric contamination and releases remain
ongoing problems and coal is the primary fuel used to process nuclear fuels.

Further more, in these not always so lucid United States, not one single
reactor in the nation mirrors another. Therefore, emergency response teams
essentially have to learn the individual characteristics of over 100
different animals. Even employees cannot go from one plant to the next
without undergoing considerable re-training.

Kinda' like kicking Henry Ford off the assembly line, bringing in truckloads
of tricycle, bicycle, lawnmower, baby carriage, motorcycle and spinning
wheels, willy nilly attaching them to Model Ts, with no two vehicles ever
ending up the same.

At least the Frogs had sense(?) enough to duplicate most of their plants,
permitting staff and response teams to operate equally as proficiently in
one as in any other.

The real clincher?

The US Department of Energy is perfectly prepared to permit new construction
of nuclear plants using the same shotgun method - no mold - no pattern - no
conformity in applied technology - and still maintaining an unflinching
acceptance of inherantly dangerous Light Water Reactors (LWRs).

Clean? Not a snowflake's chance in hell. And no level of cryogenics will
make it so.

Safe? Not much more than the Hindenberg.

Todd
Appal Energy