From: Alan S. Petrillo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 2:56 AM
To: biofuel
Subject: [biofuel] Re: More cowflops

Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "F. Marc de Piolenc" wrote:
>
> > - commercial aviators experience exposure levels in excess of NRC
> > standards; if they were under NRC jurisdiction they would all have to
> > retire early, having exceeded allowable "life doses" that are based on
> > precisely the arguments that you adduce.
>
>            And your explanation of why pregnant stewardesses,passengers,
and
> pilots are warned against flying by the FAA and other authorities. and
even
> banned by major airlines is what? They specifically site the radiation
> danger. Try doing a google search on pregnant & radiation & airline.

Actually, the biggest danger to pregnant women who fly is not radiation,
but pressure changes.  Going from near sea level to 8000' cabin pressure
altitude is quite stressful on the body in itself, but sitting there for
an extended period of time and then going back down to near sea level
are really very stressful.  This pressure change has been known to cause
miscarriages, particularly in pregnancies that were already considered
to be high risk.  Add to this the lowered oxygen content of air at 8000'
and you have the recipe for a real potential problem.

Pregnant women are really in much more danger from the pressure changes
of altitude, and from the airplane itself than they are from the
miniscule radiation dose they will be exposed to.

The reason some airlines won't take pregnant women past their second
trimester is more one of liability than anything else.  They won't fly
pregnant women who are that far along because they don't want to pay the
extra money their insurance companies want in order to allow it in their
liability policies.  Also, in the event of an emergency evacuation
heavily pregnant women might have trouble moving to the exits quickly or
using the emergency equipment.

Alan Petrillo
--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Small business owners...