Richard,

Several states have enacted legislation to study industrial hemp and or to
permit farmers to grow it.

I was informed last week that Montana has just joined this list.

Unfortunately, the issue of federal law superceding state law on the matter
takes the issue of "state legality" and turns it into one of "federal
il-legality."

Ooops. Sorry. See that you noted that in your post.

It is inevitable, purely as a matter of eventual necessity if nothing else.
Just a matter of time.

Todd
Appal Energy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >Jerry Dycus says:
> >           In 10 or so states it's legal now for
> >industral hemp. [snip]
>
> Sorry, Jerry - there is NO state in the US where growing industrial
> hemp is legal.  What state(s) are you thinking of?
>

> >         The Feds are still pissed about it though. But
> >it's hard to make a federal case from something that
> the states say is legalin their state.
>
> Wrong again.  It's very EASY to make a "federal case" if they choose
> to.  Federal law supercedes state law, and the Feds have not yet lost
> a single case where they've taken on a state over hemp or marijuana.
> They may lose at first, on the lower court levels, but once it gets
> to the federal appellate level, they win.
>
> The Feds pick their fights carefully.  Just because they CHOOSE not
> go after some local medical marijuana user doesn't mean they CAN'T -
> it just means it hasn't been worth their effort.  I suspect that
> under the new Bush & Ashcroft regime, we'll start seeing a lot more
> enforcement.
>
> Cheers -
> RJLaue

Small business owners...