Hello Todd

This is absolutely right, and P&G's a good example. Thanks!

>Jan,
>
>The environmental war isn't always fun and often seems to accomplish
>little - especially when underfunded.
>
>The greatest myth in the effort is that one person cannot do anything.
>
>May I remind you that one of the most deviant corporations in the pollution
>and "spin" arenas is Proctor and Gamble.
>
>P&G started as a small soap company in the colonial days of the United
>States. They reached where they are today by profiting one penny at a time
>off each bar of soap or other product for the past two centuries. And now
>their production facilities poison our rivers, air, drinking water and
>people.
>
>Take a look at the list of consumer products from which they profit every
>time purchased. No doubt you will find a few in your cupboard - unless you
>already boycott P&G for their lies, destruction and deceit.
>
>Tide, Tampax, Always, Pampers, Luvs, Folgers, Millstone, Pringles, Jif,
>Crisco, Crest, Sunny Delight, Charmin, Bounty, Puffs, Old Spice, Secret,
>Sure, Max Factor, Cover Girl, Olay, Head & Shoulders, Pantene, Cascade,
>Dawn, Ivory, Joy, Bounce, Downy, Comet, Mr. Clean, Bold, Cheer, Era, Gain,
>Ivory Snow and Fit.
>
>The list extends to over 300.
>
>Can you imagine the enormity of economic loss to P&G if environmentally
>concerned consumers were actually aware of where P&G's profits came from and
>acted to constrict them- through their own consumer choices?
>
>The power of one - multiplied thousands of times over.

This is the ONLY way to cause corporations to change their ways - you
have to make it too expensive for them. Kick them in the pocket, it's
the ONLY place that really hurts them. Otherwise all you'll get is
spin and appearances - like BP-Amoco's nice friendly green logo,
which cost them more than they spent on renewable energy that year,
in spite of all the ads and PR campaigns to the contrary. You have to
make it cost them, knock the bottom line - and then be very vigilant
to make absolutely sure that any changes are real changes and not
just more spin. A lot of corporations do things like join the UN's
Global Compact, and do nothing to actually change their ways in
accordance with its precepts. What else can you expect?

More than 300 firms sign up for UN Global Compact
http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=11788

UN: One Year Later Global Compact Has Little To Show
http://www.corpwatch.org/news

International Chamber of Commerce: Global Compact Violator
http://www.corpwatch.org/un/updates/2001/icc.html

Rio Tinto: Global Compact Violator
http://www.corpwatch.org/un/updates/2001/riotinto.html

It all depends on "small" people doing small things in small ways -
and being determined and unrelenting about it. But they're big and
strong? Yes, also big and flabby, big and ungainly, big and blind,
big and vulnerable.

>Your contributions are important. No matter how seemingly small.
>
>"What you do may seem insignificant. Never the less, it is important that
>you do it."  Ghandi

Also: "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try
sleeping with a mosquito." - the Dalai Lama.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects