http://www.kcstar.com:80/item/pages/printer.pat,local/3acce10c.807,.html

California considers turning to Brazil for ethanol to add to gasoline

By SCOTT CANON - The Kansas City Star
Date: 08/07/01 22:15

First, California balked at gassing up with ethanol, pleading with
the federal government that it could fight its chronic smog without
the corn-fed fuel.

But Washington, lobbied hard by the ethanol industry, said in June
that California must use either ethanol or another additive -- one
that so fouls water supplies that the state has banned its use beyond
2002.

So last month, California officials made noises about the virtues of
Brazilian ethanol. No country makes or consumes more ethanol than
Brazil. Production there can be cheaper. Shipping routes don't freeze.

Another point -- largely unspoken -- is that it doesn't come from the
Midwesterners whom California blames for bullying the federal
government into taking such a rigid, pro-ethanol stance.

California Gov. Gray Davis eased off his Brazilian bluff this week
when confronted by his peers from the Midwest at the National
Governors Association, but South American ethanol might still flow to
the gas-guzzling Golden State.

"We, the industry, are ultimately the people who are going to have to
put ethanol into gasoline and not create shortages," said Paul
Langland, a spokesman for BP, which sells gasoline in California
under the Arco brand. "We have to look at all the suppliers out there
to keep a market this large going."

Wherever it comes from, the amount of ethanol pouring into California
must climb dramatically. In 2000, the state used about 150 million
gallons and imported just 70,000 gallons. For 2003, it could need --
depending on who makes the estimate -- between 600 million and 1
billion gallons of ethanol to spike its gasoline.

State energy officials, as well, say they're looking everywhere to
make sure there's enough gas to keep Californians commuting.

"One or two refineries have been in discussions with Brazilian
companies about getting ethanol from there," said Pat Perez, manager
for the fuels office of the California Energy Commission. "But our
primary source is definitely going to be the Midwest."

Price is a key factor. Since the 1970s, gasoline containing at least
10 percent domestically produced ethanol has been exempt from 5.4
cents a gallon of the federal fuel tax. That subsidy is seen as a way
to keep grain surpluses down because the fuel is made from corn,
wheat, sorghum and other crops.

Some have been skeptical about the U.S. industry's ability to rise to
an explosion of market demand.

"It's silly for us to be counting on only the Midwest when we can get
it from a variety of suppliers," said William Rukeyser, an assistant
secretary of the California Environmental Protection Agency.

"We're not sure there's going to be enough to go around. We need a
reliable supply."

The industry responds that its capacity is rising quickly, with
plants either under expansion, under construction or on order now,
that they will more than meet the new California thirst for ethanol.

"If there's one thing that U.S. (agriculture) companies can do
quickly, it's to add capacity," said Jeff Kanter, an analyst who
follows the industry for Prudential Securities.

"This stuff about there not being enough capacity is all coming from
the oil industry, and it's complete gamesmanship."

Even the talk of importing foreign ethanol has its bright side for
Monte Shaw, spokesman for the ethanol industry group, Renewable Fuels
Association.

"That's OK. Ethanol is a world commodity. I'm glad they're beginning
to realize ethanol isn't some weird, terrible thing coming from the
Midwest," he said.

Federal clean air rules require that certain regions of California
blend something with their gasoline to increase oxygen levels. For
years, the state has chiefly used the chemical known as MTBE --
relatively cheap and convenient because it is petroleum-based.

As its water-polluting qualities became more vexing, a consensus
formed in the state to ban its use. Davis signed an executive order
-- a politically popular one -- to impose a ban that kicks in at the
start of 2003.

Adding ethanol does reduce the carbon monoxide that steams out of
tailpipes. It doesn't pollute water like MTBE. But critics note that
it adds oxides of nitrogen that can make smog worse in some instances.

Now Rukeyser said the MTBE ban might not be so quick or absolute.
Davis, he said, could still decide to phase in the MTBE ban or delay
it until the state develops more confidence that it will have plenty
of ethanol to fill the void.

"We're analyzing the logistics of importing hundreds of millions of
gallons of ethanol into the state," he said.

Brazil, where ethanol is made chiefly from sugar cane, could send
tankers up through the Panama Canal and along the Pacific Coast.
Rukeyser said those deliveries wouldn't face the same vagaries of the
weather that can bedevil wintertime barge shipments from the Midwest
on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.

He said Brazilian refinery costs and shipping expenses -- given that
much of the Midwestern ethanol also would have to pass through the
Panama Canal -- would be low enough to offset tariff protections for
the domestic product.

At the National Governors Association meeting this week, Iowa Gov.
Tom Vilsack and Nebraska Gov. Mike Johanns met with Davis privately
about that sort of Brazilian talk. Vilsack emerged from a
conversation with Davis saying he had assurances that ethanol "would
be purchased from a domestic source."

The gasoline industry, however, won't be taking purchase orders from
Sacramento.

"The main concern is to have an adequate supply at the best price,"
said Jodie Muller, a spokeswoman for the Western States Petroleum
Association. "The domestic producers promise us there will be enough.
If that's the case, there won't be a problem. But we'll have to find
it somewhere."

To reach Scott Canon, national correspondent, call (816) 234-4754 or
send e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All content © 2001 The Kansas City Star

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!