Hello Alan

If you mean Callicarpa americana (aka French mulberries), they're not
real mulberries (Morus alba) and they're not French (native to
Texas), but it seems they do produce fruit.

Morus alba's a great energy tree. Great everything tree. Have a look
at this - it might give you some ideas for the French mulberries:
http://journeytoforever.org/edu_silk_mulberry.html
Mulberry trees

Re cattails, check this out:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Typha.html
Typha ssp.

Kudzu is excellent fodder for grazing animals, high protein, better
than alfalfa and more productive. Good pasture, and it makes good
hay. It's a legume and fixes a lot of N - generally a soil improver.
It's a deep-rooter and brings up a lot of minerals from the deep
subsoil. It produces large, starchy tubers, widely used as food in
the East and elsewhere in the tropics. It's also excellent at
stabilising steep slopes, and as a general anti-erosion crop. The
best way to eradicate it is to turn it into, first, beef, and second,
pork. After the cattle are done, the pigs will root the rest out in
search of the tubers, both animals manuring the land as they go. A
bit of care taken with the next crop should do it. Americans and also
Australians it seem to hate the stuff, but where I've seen it growing
wild in the East it has not been much of a pest. I've never heard it
referred to as a pest here. Kudzu should be a good energy crop, but I
can't find any references.

Keith Addison