Steve W wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am aware that hydrogen combines with oxygen
> to make water and give off some electricity but
> where does all this hydrogen come from that we
> plan to use?

It appears to come from natural gas, petroleum, coal.
Check out the News & Info - english site
http://www.fuelcells.org

> I know there is alot out there but
> it is mostly bound up in water or some other
> chemical isn't it?  It takes energy to free this
> hydrogen.  How much energy does it take and where
> is this energy going to come from?

input : output
1 : 0.5 to 1 : 0.67
using renewable, sustainable or fossil fuel electricity.
Potassium Hydroxide KOH has been used to increase
electrical conductivity of water H2O for producing hydrogen H2
to help increase efficiency conversion.
http://www.homepower.com/download2.htm#Hydrogen
You'll need Adobe Acrobat reader (@ page top) to read articles.

> Will fuel cells really save any greenhouse gases

It sounds that way if pure H2 is used emitting H2O but for now interest
is in Hydrogen Carbon (hydrocarbon) fuel sources emitting H2O & CO2.
For a brief explanation of hydrocarbons
"What is the difference between gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, etc.?"
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question105.htm

> or will a bunch of coal need to be burned to free up the hydrogen?

Fuel - reformers or processors designed to separate the H from C.
e.g. chemical compound - methane CH4, methanol CH3OH

"How Fuel Processors Work"
http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-processor.htm

"Introduction to How Fuel Cells Work"
http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-cell.htm`