There is a problem with cavitation erosion on the
coolant side of cylinder walls unique to diesels that
can cause a white smoke condition. I hope this is not
the problem with yours Malcolm as it eventually
requires replacement of the cylinder liners (if
possible).

I mention this mainly because it can be prevented with
an additive which essentially prevents the pock marks
created by cavitation from becoming deep enough to act
as cavitation foci causing a tunneling through the
cylinder wall and subsequent pinholes. Check with your
local diesel shop or dealer. Some models appear to be
more prone to this malady than others and "hard use"
also seems to promote cavitation.

Stop leak may temporarily fix the problem but long
term the coolant additive (which I believe contains
molybdenum) might prolong the fix. I beleive that as a
preventative measure it is well worth the $5/year cost
of the additive and test strips to check additive
levels.

Good luck
Dana

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Yea, I have had that problem for some time with an
> 89 chev truck and was
> advised recently that the smoke came from the
> coolant, apparently seeping
> into the engine  and that standard treatment  for it
> was to  put in stop leak
> pellets, which I haven't done yet.   I suppose over
> time it could deplete the
> antifreeze content to create a freeze hazard, so it
> is important to check
> this out before the cold weather.

> removed]

http://phone.yahoo.com