http://ens.lycos.com/e-wire/Oct01/09Oct0105.html
October 9, 2001 -
Yosemite Concession Services Corp. to Use Biodiesel Fuel in Valley
Shuttle Bus Fleet

Environmental Initiative Expected to Reduce Harmful Exhaust Emissions

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif., Oct. 9 -/E-Wire/--
Yosemite Concession Services Corp. (YCS) has initiated a 30-day test
program to evaluate biodiesel fuel for use in the Valley shuttle bus
fleet that serves the 3.5 million annual visitors to Yosemite
National Park. This undertaking continues YCS' partnership with the
National Park Service to pursue alternative energy sources in order
to reduce pollution and preserve the park's natural and cultural
resources.

If successful, the environmentally friendly fuel will be employed on
a permanent basis in the shuttle fleet as well as in all YCS vehicles.

Biodiesel, which is produced from soybean and other vegetable oils,
has been shown to reduce the level of harmful emissions, resulting in
a dramatic improvement in air quality. The blend to be used by YCS
(80 percent traditional diesel, 20 percent biodiesel) is expected to
reduce emissions of carbon monoxide by 9 percent, particulate matter
by 20 percent, hydrocarbons by 15 percent, and sulfur oxides and
sulfates entirely. The overall ozone-forming (smog) potential of the
emissions will be cut by 10 percent.

"We are grateful to the National Park Service for contributing
equipment and resources that were instrumental in getting this
project off the ground," said YCS President Cindy L. Bower.

YCS operates the fifth-largest transportation system in the country,
in terms of people moved per mile. The biodiesel demonstration
project is the latest in a series of initiatives comprising the
company's award-winning GreenPath program, an environmental
management program designed to align YCS business activities with
environmentally sound practices.

According to Bower, "GreenPath enhances our ability to provide
top-quality service to the millions that visit Yosemite without
compromising the park's delicate ecological balance. Using biodiesel
in our shuttle fleet is a natural extension of GreenPath."

Biodiesel has been used with great success in transit fleets in major
cities including St. Louis and San Francisco. In over 30 million
miles of on-road use, biodiesel blends have performed well, showing
fuel consumption, horsepower, torque and haulage rates similar to
conventional diesel fuels. In addition to reducing harmful emissions,
biodiesel is a significantly better lubricator than traditional
diesel, and can contribute to extending engine life.

Benefits go beyond the reduction of harmful emissions. Produced
domestically, the fuels reduce reliance on imported oil; and because
the raw materials used to produce biofuels are renewable, they
provide insurance against exhausting a finite supply of fossil fuels.
Initiatives such as YCS' conversion to biodiesel in its shuttle fleet
also help to promote the continued development of this all-important
technology.

"We're confident that this effort will prove a success. As a result,
air quality will be enhanced, the vehicles will benefit from the
improved performance of the fuel, and we'll know that we are doing
what we can to protect the environment," said Robert Concienne, YCS
Director of Transportation and Guest Services.

YCS' GreenPath program was recently honored as one of California's
Top 10 for outstanding waste reduction and recycling practices. The
company operates hotels and lodging, food and beverage services, gift
and grocery stores, and provides recreation and transportation
services in Yosemite as an authorized concessioner of the National
Park Service.

SOURCE: Yosemite Concession Services Corp.

-0- 10/9/2001

/CONTACT: Karen Hales of Yosemite Concession Services Corp.,
+1-209-372-1492, or [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Public Information Number,
+1-209-372-1000/

/Web site: http://www.YosemitePark.com/

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM