> too bad vw doesn't make anything I can put 1000 lbs of cargo in. I'll buy
> the Ford thanks.

Hmm. A trailer, maybe? I've pulled 2000 lbs of gravel with a Golf. It was a
B$%$# to get it moving, but I only needed to do this a couple of times, so
it wasn't worth getting a 30000$ pile of junk pickup.

The lame-est clause of them all. I need a truck because I haul a lot of
stuff. Right. You and every guy driving powerstroke fords, and cummins
dodges.

Of course, if you are one of the 2% of pickup truck drivers that actually
use their vehicles and load them to capacity ON A REGULAR BASIS, the comment
is cordially withdrawn. I would however be interested in hearing your
service history for the vehicle...

Your brand new US pickup will beat itself to death with a half ton in the
box. That nice big diesel three quarter ton truck will die a horrible death
if you actually work if for what it's "designed for". Most people who spend
30K on a new truck, expecting it to work hard, get nasty surprises... I
spend enough time getting yelled at by fleet managers and owners who can't
believe their new Dodges need another front end rebuild.

The front end, suspension, body, chassis, and most of the driveline on these
vehicles are built TO FAIL. They have all sorts of built in deficiencies
that make them simply let go so you pay for servicing. Of course, the axles
look big. The chassis looks strong. They can tow a lot of weight. But
underneath they are as much of a cash cow as a Dodge Neon or a Cavalier.
Built to fail, to make bucks for the auto service industry.

Now, if you'd like me to name some real vehicles, I can definitely do so.
Unfortunately most of these companies have since gone the way of the
dodo-bird, or have gone upscale, building 4x4 SUV's for rich moms and dads.
Building trucks that last is bad business practice.

Even highway rigs are getting to this point - built in inefficiencies.
Lighter weight. Computers. What everyone from fleet managers to the average
joe needs to realise is that one teardown or repair to fix problems with
these built in innefficiencies costs more than to pay the extra 5% fuel cost
over the life of the vehicle.

Plus, the environmental cost of building a whole vehicle to replace an old
one (which would simply need to be rebuilt and repaired) is incredible. If
cars were built to last and be serviced, they would be easy to keep going.
However, a larger idea prevails - gouging you for all you've got.

I admit a VW is about as useless a vehicle as a Ford Mustang for someone who
needs a truck. But then again, you can't BUY a truck anymore. You have to
build it as all the "trucks" have long ago left the market, having been
replaced by luxo-utes with thin tin boxes bolted on to the frame, and most
people don't need a Ford F250, they simply have to figure out that driving a
big empty pickup is a sign of stupidity, not coolness.

J-L

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2vN8tD/_pSDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM