--- "F. Marc de Piolenc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting - the manufacturers get around Federal
> model/horsepower
> penalties by BUILDING SUVs. I just assumed they were
> passing their
> savings to the consumer as an incentive to BUY the
> darn things.
> Marc,

Actually the profit margin is higher on SUVs...no
incentive needed.

> "A few do it because they percieve bigger as
> safer(incorrectly)..and others for the "status"
> symbol."
>
> The actuarial statistics are quite clear: bigger IS
> safer. You don't
> have to like it (I don't), but it's a fact. Your
> chances of dying in a
> crash are higher if you drive a small car. I don't
> happen to consider
> that sufficient reason to buy a big heavy automobile
> - limiting one's
> road mileage and driving defensively can reduce
> one's risk of being in
> an accident in the first place - but if a collision
> does occur you're
> better off in a Bronco than in a beetle.
Over the last decade the crash tests have not looked
as good for most SUVs as most other autos.
Additionally the handling characteristics of most SUVs
are dismal to say the least. Actuarial stats might
indicate that IF YOU ARE IN A CRASH you have a better
survivability rate, but that does not take into
account that you may be more likely to be involved in
a crash. The stats I have seen also seem to show that
SUVs are more likely to be involved in single car
crashes...with injury rates higher than most other
cars. I know you were using a beetle to make your
point...but it is a poor example and not at all
representative of the vehicles that have been produced
over the past decade. Except possibly Hyundai.

 Under
> winter driving conditions
> a 4x4 SUV - competently driven - is also safer in an
> accident-avoidance
> sense.
>
> Marc de Piolenc

Any all wheel drive car is safer in icy/slick
conditions than a 2 wheel drive one if it is
"competently driven"...but I would pick something like
a AWD Subaru over any of the SUVs I have seen or
driven. Personally...I wouldn't own one if it were
given to me.

Dana