Yes it is nice to use that waste heat. However, a lot of people want an
inexpensive, easy installation, and live in warm climates, or they want to
boost to compensate for losses from the glycol heat exchanger setup.

 Self-regulating in the case of our heater means on a sliding scale, not
full on/ full off cycling. Amperage draw drops off as the SVO gets warmer
and there is no abrupt on/off cycling like thermoswitch types.

As for extra load on the engine, we are talking about a max of 30 amps, and
a much more usual case of under 10-15 or less once under way. (For electric
only, use fuel recirc. to tank, and a fairly  small tank, and of course for
HIH systems, it all gets most of the way to temp without the heater, so the
heater is just drawing minimal power to finish off the job).

So at 100-200 watts a lot of the time, let's say 150, that's about, what,
0.2 horsepower.

 Even on a non-turbo worn out autonemic Rabbit, you can pick that up in
terms of fuel economy and performance by checking the air pressure in your
tires a little more often or turning down the Hip-hop on those big back seat
speakers you installed to drown out the rattle of the diesel.

;-)

Edward Beggs
www.biofuels.ca