Hello Winfried,

I heard that NOx from biodiesel was a problem from a paper titled:
Biodiesel: The Use of Vegetable Oils and Their Derivatives as Alternative
Diesel Fuels. The paper was authored by: Gerhard Knothe, Robert O. Dunn, and
Marvin O. Bagby who were sponsored by: Oil Chemical Research, National
Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Agricultural Research Service,
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Peoria, IL  61604

I've lost the URL to the paper but you should be able to find with a google
search using the information above.

Here is the claim from that paper:

<start quote>

It is generally recognized that biodiesel has lower emissions, with the
exception of nitrogen oxides (NOx), than conventional petroleum-based DF.
For example, due to its lack of sulfur, biodiesel does not cause SO2
emissions.  The lower emissions have caused biodiesel to be used in urban
bus fleets and to make it especially suitable for other niche markets such
as mining and marine engines.  Besides environmental and health reasons with
accompanying Government regulations, focusing on the use of biodiesel in
niche markets is rendered additionally attractive because not enough
vegetable oil is produced to supply the whole diesel market with biodiesel.

Numerous reports exist showing that fuel economies of certain biodiesel
blends and conventional DF are virtually identical.  In numerous on-the-road
tests, primarily with urban bus fleets, vehicles running on blends of
biodiesel with conventional DF (usually 80% conventional DF and 20%
biodiesel; for a list of most biodiesel demonstration programs in the United
States, see Ref. 6) required only about 2-5% more of the blended fuel than
of the conventional fuel.  No significant engine problems were reported as
discussed later.

<end quote>

As to the claim's validity, I have not a clue and that is why I asked Edward
at Neoteric for his data, to either support of discount it. To date, Edward
hasn't replied.

Ted Swarts
Kelowna, British Columbia