----- Original Message -----
From: "Dana Linscott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Can anyone tell me what the pH of BD is prior to
> washing and what the lowest temperature at which the
> reaction will take place is?

Dana pH of BD prior to washing can be 9 or 10 or even higher if an excess of
NaOH is used.
Clean lightly used tallow-free wvo can be processed at 20 deg C, the
reaction just takes a bit longer.
Unfortunately WVO in Aust contains beef tallow leached from the part-cooked
frozen chips used by fish&chip shops. This mixture will not process cold (at
least the tallow portion won't).
The use of excess NaOH mentioned above, in conjunction with 250ml of
Methanol per litre and temp of 55 deg C processes the oil and tallow giving
a uniform BD which shows no sign of tallow/ tallow ester dropout on standing
or freezing. This is usually a big problem with oil containing tallow.
 The WVO deacidificaton/filtration unit which you are developing sounds just
the thing for problem WVO.
Would it also be suitable for waste animal fat ( a favourite chip cooker in
Oz fish & chip shops)?

> Is anyone using a plastic reaction vessel?

Yes and sometimes. For 1L test batches I use the "Patented Dr.Pepper Method
by Tilly". PET bottles withstand the reaction, heat, initial presurisation
and final depresurisation. Some of the larger batches I have made involved
mixing/settling  the reactants in 25L  plastic buckets and polythene(?)
drums. Neither has caused problems.
Some plastics are more resiliant than others, the worst seem to be plastic
appliance cases and general consumer plastic items.

For your BD production add on vessel you may be interested in utilising an
idea myself and others have tried.
Mechanically mixing the NaOH into the methanol is a dangerous and time
consuming process.
A much simpler method is to substitute a concentrated aqueous solution of
NaOH for the solid NaOH.
The small ammount of water in the solution appears to make no difference to
the reaction. Perhaps it is chemicaly bound. Mixing is instantaneous, easy
and safe. The method lends itself to automation if an alkali resintant pump
can be used. Possibly a peristaltic pump would be suitable.  More details
supplied if interested.

One scenario I have considered to get around the EPA/Local Council
lisencing restictions on transporting WVO was to part process the WVO at
pick up.  Two engine oil pumps would be coupled to an electric motor, one
running at 1/5 the speed of the other. The faster pump would draw the WVO
from its container, circulate it through a coil of pipe heated by propane.
The slower pump would be for the methoxide (could be corosion and seal
problems here). Both pumps would deliver into one end of a mixing chamber
consisting of a length of pipe packed with ball bearings. The chamber is
unpressurised and discharges by overflow, ie in at the bottom and out at the
top. The mixture is then fed into  lidded bins. Now I am no longer
transporting waste but fuel with a much higher flashpoint than the diesel
that used to be carried in the fuel tank of the vehicle.
Settling, decanting, washing and filtering  is all that remains to be done.
 Regards, Paul Gobert.

www.ozimages.com.au/profile.asp?MemberID=517