>I'm thinking of using potassium hydroxide as catalyst instead of
>caustic soda in the hope that it may be easier to mix with the
>methanol. Does anyone know how it comes? I'm hoping it isn't big
>tough crystals! Also does it suck up water if it's left exposed to
>air?

Mine comes as "flakes" -- thin plates about 1mm thick, irregularly
shaped from 4 - 15 mm across. They can be snapped into smaller
bits in your fingers, but grinding them would make a lot of very
nasty dust. It is very hygroscopic, even worse than NaOH, and it
can't be dried in the oven (it justs "melts" into solution). But you're
correct that even in large flakes it dissolves more readily in methanol
than NaOH does, and with greater exotherm.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM