http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,53%257E385631,00.html
Denver Post.com  -

Diesel never smelled like this

Biodiesel fuel nontoxic, veggie

By Erin Emery
Denver Post Southern Colorado Bureau

Thursday, February 07, 2002 - PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE - A ferry from
San Francisco to Alcatraz, U.S. Postal Service trucks in Manhattan
and noncombat vehicles at Peterson Air Force Base are all powered by
it.

Biodiesel. It is a renewable, nontoxic diesel fuel that is made from
vegetable products such as soybean oil and canola oil, along with
animal fats and even recycled cooking grease from the neighborhood
McDonald's.

"It smells like your kitchen rather than your garage." said Gene
Gebolys, president of World Energy Alternatives, the nation's largest
biodiesel provider.

Snowplows, pickup trucks and refueling vehicles that transport jet
fuel to airplanes on the flight line at Peterson have since October
been using a product called B-20, which is 20 percent biodiesel and
80 percent diesel.

"It's been a success for us so far," said Master Sgt. Mark Trolio,
chief fuels operator for Air Force Space Command. "Our vehicles are
smoking less, and they are starting smoothly."

Biodiesel doesn't have to be mixed with regular diesel for top
performance, advocates say, but uncut biodiesel is mostly used in
warmer climates.

Biodiesel is the fastest-growing alternative energy in the United
States. More than 150 public and private commercial fleets across the
United States are using it because it has tremendous environmental
benefits, it reduces the nation's reliance on foreign oil and
vehicles don't have to be retrofitted for it.

According to research commissioned by the National Renewable Energy
Laboratory, operated by the U.S. Department of Energy, vehicles that
burn biodiesel have cleaner emissions. In fact, biodiesel reduces
cancer risk over diesel vehicle emissions by as much as 94 percent
for 100 percent biodiesel and 27 percent with B-20.

It's been called everything from "veggie power" to the "green" fuel
for its environmental advantages, but bio-diesel is attracting a lot
of attention primarily because companies don't have to spend money to
retrofit their fleets, and vehicle performance doesn't suffer.

"This is the easiest (alternative fuel) you can go to," Trolio said.
"You can convert to biodiesel by emptying the fuel tank. All you have
to do is make sure the tank is completely empty. It's a program that
is so simple to get into. It's a wave, and we're ahead of that wave.
Clean air - that's the biggest benefit to me. Who would not like
cleaner air?"

The drawback to biodiesel: It costs about 12 cents to 15 cents more a
gallon than fossil fuels. Nevertheless, six U.S. cities already have
biodiesel for sale at the pump, though most biodiesel is sold to
fleets operated by companies or governments.

The technology has been around since 1895, when Rudolf Diesel used
vegetable oil to power an engine. It has only been in the last decade
that economic and agricultural conditions have ignited interest in
biodiesel, which could displace 2 percent of the nation's petroleum
at full production capacity, Gebolys said.

As a response to mad-cow disease in Europe, farmers discontinued the
practice of feeding animal content back to animals. When cattle were
allowed to revert to vegetarianism, there was an increased demand for
soybeans but not soybean oil, creating a glut of oil and a plunge in
vegetable oil prices. The government offers subsidies to people who
buy biodiesel to offset losses to farmers.

"Biodiesel is not just for agriculture anymore," Gebolys said. "About
once every 10 years, we get a strong reminder of just how dependent
we are on foreign oil and why we shouldn't be. We need to find new
uses for our agricultural oil excess, and we need to find new sources
of domestic clean energy. So it seems pretty clear to us that we can
play a pretty important role."

All contents Copyright 2002 The Denver Post or other copyright holders.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM