>most whiskey makers use copper in the production of
>drinkable alcohol. i can't see why biofuel requires
>316 stainless. stainless is required in pharmacutical
>and food processing ,but this is usually 304 stainless
>as it welds better than 316 and is less expensive.
>            regards,roger

A possible exception might be if you're using Aleks Kac's Foolproof
method, with H2SO4. But Aleks has said that the proportion of acid is
so low (1ml of 97% H2SO4 per litre WVO) that it doesn't make any
difference if you use ordinary steel containers and equipment.
Copper? Dunno about the reactor itself, but Aleks was using copper
piping for methanol recovery after processing, I think immediately
after processing, before glycerine separation, using the foolproof
method. Just raise the temp to 65-70 deg C.

For base methods, I think copper hot-water tanks are quite popular.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Osaka, Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/

> > Unfortunately copper isn't recommended for biodiesel - preferably all
> > components would be 316 stainless steel.  What I am looking for is an
> > off-the-shelf item that would serve the purpose for in-line vacuum
> > distillation for methanol recovery.
> >
> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Terry Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > The Revenoor Co., www.revenoor.com, makes all copper
> > > stills ranging from 5 gallon removable tops to 1,000
> > > gallon systems.  We have several people pulling 25
> > > inches of vacuum on them.  Although those models have
> > > been re-enforced somewhat.
> > > Hope that helps
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > distillation unit for
> > > processor?
> > >
> > > Preferably, send it here to the list - I'm sure a lot
> > > of members
> > > would be interested.
> > >
> > > Keith Addison
> > > Journey to Forever