BEND, Ore., Feb. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The lights went out from the
central Oregon coast to Eugene when 70-mph winds ripped through the
area and knocked out power to tens of thousands Feb. 7.

One bright spot was the warehouse at Emerald Peoples Utility District
in Eugene. There, a recently installed 3-5 kilowatt IdaTech fuel cell
system provided crews the only power they had as they worked though
the wet night to restore electricity.

``It was great. We started the fuel cell and it gave us power,'' said
Richard Jackson-Gistelli, leader of the district's commercial,
industrial division.

In addition to lights and heat, the refrigerator-sized system, which
runs very quietly and produces almost no emissions, powered a cable
puller used to stock line trucks from a great spool. For the 14 hours
the warehouse's main power was out, the IdaTech fuel cell system
purred along flawlessly.

``It provided us a well-needed service,'' said Jackson-Gistelli, who
said all he had to do was push a button to start the system up.

``This clearly demonstrates an early promise of fuel cells: clean,
quiet, dependable back-up power without the disadvantages of
traditional gensets,'' said Mark Fleiner, IdaTech's vice president of
marketing.

EPUD is participating in a multi-state field-test program of
IdaTech's systems managed by the Bonneville Power Administration.
Utility leaders are exploring the potential of fuel cells to provide
an array of service opportunities, including power to remote sites
and back-up power to homes and businesses.

Fuel cells produce power in an electro-chemical process that is low
polluting, efficient and quiet. IdaTech is developing fuel cell
processors and integrated systems for stationary and portable uses.

Fleiner expects the first commercial uses will be for intermittent
demand applications, particularly emergency and portable power
systems.

``We are increasingly dependent on electricity at work and home,'' he
said. ``In the future, when nature strikes and the power grid goes
down, people will turn to their fuel cells.''

Jackson-Gistelli said that's just what the crews in the warehouse
were able to do the night of the storm, when most of its 18,000
customers were without power.

``Most of the area was knocked out. But we had light in our
warehouse. And that was great,'' he said.