http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=120490
Independent News

Blair's top scientist calls for petrol car ban

Pollution peril È Professor David King says Britain must force oil
and car companies to develop 'green' transport solutions

By Severin Carrell

Tony Blair's chief scientific adviser has called for a complete ban
on the sale of petrol-and diesel-powered cars, in one of the most
dramatic proposals yet made on tackling climate change.

Professor David King told The Independent on Sunday that Britain
should follow the example of Lombardy, a heavily-industrialised
region in northern Italy, which is to ban the sale of fossil-fuel
powered cars from 1 January 2005.

Professor King, the Government's most senior scientist, said a fixed
target would force car makers and oil companies to develop "green"
cars powered by hydrogen fuel cells and electricity.

"I think we need a State of Lombardy-type statement from the UK," he
said. "We need to be pressing for the economic drivers which are
required to bring these technologies to Britain."

His remarks are the first time any Government adviser has advocated
such a tough policy on car use.

"This is a hugely significant statement from someone at the centre of
Government," said Tony Juniper, director designate of Friends of the
Earth. "Until now, the Government has failed to recognise that,
logically, we must phase out fossil fuels. Hopefully, Tony Blair will
listen."

Imposing a deadline would shock the car and oil industries which sold
more than 2.2m new cars, worth about £30bn, and 29 billion litres of
fuel in the UK in 2000. They will claim that Lombardy and California,
which has imposed a zero-emissions policy for new cars, are chiefly
concerned with cutting urban air pollution rather than climate change.

Environment campaigners argue, however, that road transport is
responsible for about 25 per cent of Britain's annual CO2 emissions
of roughly 152 million tonnes, and is the only major sector which is
increasing its CO2 emissions.

Professor King refused to be drawn on which year should be chosen but
said "green" cars would soon be widely available. Major car and oil
companies such as Ford, Chrysler, Shell and BP already have an
"impressive" joint project to test various hydrogen-fuelled cars in
the United States. Ford has begun selling a solely electric
two-seater car, The Think, and the British company Johnson Matthey
is, he said, close to unveiling hydrogen fuel cells for buses and
cars.

Professor King's intervention follows the publication last Thursday
of the Government's energy review, which set out new proposals to
promote renewable energy.

Professor King said that Downing Street's Policy and Innovation Unit
report had failed to highlight the scale of the climate change crisis
"as clearly as I would have liked to see it".

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=120488
Independent News
At last, a clue to the mystery disease that is the curse of modern living

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=120497
Independent News
Revealed: car fumes give children asthma

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM