--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Poplar has been studied under similar circumstances.
>
> I hazard to suggest that the primary intent of willow and poplar
for such a crop is to achieve high yields with a short turnaround
time. As well, the small diameter stalk makes harvest comparably easy
with equipment already existing on many farms.

> I have no familiarity with aspen other than checking them for signs
of bear and enjoying their leaves as the rustle.

> Were aspen to produce equivalent energy yields over time, I believe
it would be prudent to begin planting them as well.

Aspen does nearly as well, particularly some of the hybrids that are
crossed with Cottonwood. I am in the heart of Aspen country, and the
Paper Mills have been working for several years to develop a fast
growing hybrid for paper fiber. It is highly regarded as worse than
sinful here, to consider cutting before the stems are of a size
usable for paper pulp.
I'm trying to put together a plan to gather the leftover limbs and
tops for fuel use, after the stems are harvested for paper. 2-4
tons/acre could POTENTIALLY be available for alternative energy uses.
Economic feasability seems to be another matter. The cost to gather
and transport is too high, unless I can come up with more efficient
equipment. Logging equipment is too big and heavy to be efficient,
and farm equipment is too light duty, at least in my locale. Level
even ground is used for farming. The rough rugged hills and ridges
are forested. Farmland is more valuable to grow feed or hay crops,
than it is to grow energy crops or paper pulp, at least at this time.
This may change in the not-distant future.

Motie

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!