Hi trevor
to do this i haven't made any precision measurament or so, much
simpler, first i did the hole, aprox 3 mm, then close it using a
epoxy mass  i used a fine wire to do a hole about 1 mm. and thats all.

to fire it i use a folded sheet of paper, i don't pre heat the oil,
just to mantain the fire on front of the tin until it lights alone,
about 10 seconds, i don't want to risk my fingers with a match :o)

i want to try to pump the oil back the system explained on that url
on the wastewatts group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wastewatts/files/Babington/Airlift%
20Oil%20Pump%20One.jpg

tell me if you make it work, or if you have any trouble

regards

Manolo rolan
Valencia, Spain
http://www27.brinkster.com/manolorolan