Glycerine soap requires an enormously liberal application of heat (to be
read "fuel") in comparison to standard soap manufactuer.

Alcohol is also a key production ingredient, which is eventually evaporated
and seldom recovered by anyone but commercial scale manufacturers.

All this to get clear soap.

As "home-prepared" soaps already have their glycerine content intact,
whereas commercial soaps (often chemical cocktails, especially shampoos) do
not, there is really no need to add glycerin to home soap recipes.

Glycerin can be used as an emolient in skin conditioners. However, if
everyone stopped using the de-glycerated commercial soaps, there wouldn't be
as great a need for the conditioners either.

Commercial soap manufacturers strip the glycerin away, making a product that
drys skin, and then put some glycerin into other soaps and conditioners to
compensate for their "theft" from the original product, in turn charging
premium dollar for remedies to the problem they've created.

Welcome to capitalism.

Todd Swearingen