Hi Motie

>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "steve spence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > on the face of it, corn, a low oil producer, could be used as a
>source for
> > corn oil (biodiesel). then fermented (ethanol) then feed (mash).
> >
> > all from the same crop.
> >
> > the mash feeds the cow (milk and beef) which then gets deposited as
>manure
> > (methane) and the remains are used as fertilizer for the next crop
>of
> > corn.....
> >
>  And you have gotten all this and still only used the seeds from the
>corn. The cobs, leaves and stalks can also be used. Depending on soil
>conditions, up to a third may need to be left on the field. That
>gives at least 65%, and up to 100% that is available as another
>source of energy. How do you want to convert it?
>Incineration in a co-generation plant to provide heat and electric to
>process the seeds?
>Gasification to provide heat and synthesis gas for the same purpose?
>Acid Hydrolysis to convert Cellulose to fermentable sugar and ferment
>with the seeds, and incinerate or gasify the residue?
>Or, my personal favorite, to gasify(Thermal Hydrolysis) the stover
>(residues) to Synthesis gas with a Water Shift reaction to a
>catalytic reactor to synthetic Diesel fuel to be used to plant and
>harvest the next crop.
>NO NEED for Fossil Fuels at all. Let the Arabs go.....whatever it's
>rumored they do with their camels.
>
>Motie

That all makes good sense, except the last bit. Apart from that,
ethanol from cellulose is something of a holy grail, lacking really
effective/efficient technology, but all signs are that that's
changing, or on the point of changing. There are some good resources
here:
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html#cellulose

Re the last bit, I think the Arabs are much less to blame (?) than
past and present US foreign policy along with (very much! - in
concert with) the machinations of the Seven Sisters, or however many
sisters there are these days. Demonising the Arabs is popular but not
very accurate and a distraction from the real issues - to the benefit
of the real culprits, if that's the right word. Generally they're
culprits all right, but the idea that the US is being held to ransom
over foreign oil supplies is a gross oversimplification, if not just
plain wrong. There's a lot more to it than that, eh? During the oil
embargo of the early 70s the Seven Sisters worked hard to promote
that myth, with much success, but subsequent analysis showed who the
real beneficiaries were: the Seven Sisters, not the Arabs, who, in
some ways, were victims like everyone else. Anthony Sampson's
excellent book The Seven Sisters has much about this, but I think
good supportive info is not hard to find. This demonising is damaging
to all concerned, demonised and demonisers, as well as to innocent
bystanders, and it's also downright dangerous.

regards

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!