Hey, they like it! :-)

Okay, next instalment coming up.

Brad and Jess, you bring up an interesting point, worth a bit of
discussion - not entirely on-topic, but OTOH quite a few of us have
copyrighted stuff on our websites and so on, as with the Journey to
Forever Biofuels library, Steve Spence's WebConX and Kirk's
Micro_Cogeneration list. Steve once got savagely attacked by some guy
who reckoned Steve was ripping off his copyright. Yo, Steve, that guy
was nuts, eh?

And he missed the point - well, he missed every point going,
especially that Steve was not profiting from it in any way, and
Steve's use of the piece should have been covered by the Fair Use
law, which is also what we reckon covers us, and many other people
reckon the same. But does it? Which party can afford the biggest
lawyer? As ever. And in this age of the global web, none of these
national laws makes a lot of sense. The laws are up for review,
exactly because of the online issues and globalism, but the process
isn't exactly galloping along, and meanwhile the corporations are
pushing to nail down ownership of everything including your ass.
(Damn, I hope that last bit's an exaggeration!)

Brad, I agree Anthony probably won't mind (he won't get more sales
though, it's out of print), but others certainly mind, and publishers
more so than authors, when they own copyright. (Hey, I own lots of
copyright, and I'm a publisher too, so I'm on both sides of this.)

For instance, one online library I'm friendly with recently got a
nasty, threatening letter from a big commercial publisher about a
long out-of-print book my friend had online, saying they were
planning to republish the book (BS, we both thought) and that his
having it online "puts a serious dent in our project, not to mention
the financial loss that this implies." He couldn't afford to fight
them and had to withdraw the book, which is now not available either
online or off, great.

But, quite to the contrary, here's Jess, finding something online,
loving it, and rushing off to buy a hard-copy. I'm pretty sure that's
a very common response. That's what Steve's little friend missed too
- Steve had a link on the piece to that guy's site, it would have
been driving traffic to him. These people are too grasping to realise
that giving it away for nothing on the web actually encourages sales,
rather than a "financial loss". That's against all their instincts.
They don't understand the web either.

Virtually every newspaper has discovered that, usually with great
reluctance. They all thought web editions would eat into sales, they
were all forced to change their tune, and now they all know that free
web access enhances sales. Only very few, like the WSJ, can afford to
be snooty about it. Commercial publishers, as usual, are way behind.

By contrast with the above nameless publisher who threatened my
friend, Mother Earth News discovered that Journey to Forever had
their alcohol manual online, including the ME waste oil heater. They
wrote to me saying, "Are you aware there's a page missing? Would you
like us to send it to you?"

They're not dumb! Look what Joseph Jenkins does with his "The
Humanure Handbook" - he sells hardcopies from his website, where you
can ALSO download a full-text online version for nothing! He's no
fool either. (Good book!)
http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/
See "Humanure online!"

Most of us who do this with online stuff are little guys who can't
afford big lawyers, and we live in expectation of being attacked for
it. So, Jess, thanks for the ammo! Any more ammo for me, guys?

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Osaka, Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/

>Kieth,
>I don't think the author will mind that his book is getting passed around.he
>is sure to sell more copies now.
>I think it should be made into a movie.
>thanks for sharing it with us.
>Brad