Ken Provost wrote "
George wrote >:

>  > My thinking is this, hydrous ethanol (let's say 180 proof) is a lot
>cheaper  and faster to make than anhydrous.  Mix the hydrous ethanol
>with your gasoline and let it set until the water falls out and then
>drain the water off.

"I can't imagine this would work to dry alcohol, or nobody would
bother with the fancy distillations, entraining cosolvents,  molecular
sieves, etc. I know that's not a real answer, but maybe someone else
can give the specific reason it doesn't work that way....."

Separation does occur, but the two phases are still mixtures - a
gasoline/water phase and an ethanol/water phase. Most of the water ends
up in one of the two phases - gasoline/water, I think - so this process
can be and has been used in dehydrating ethanol for fuel. It is not
useful for producing stable gasohol, however, because of the composition
of the phases; the gasoline ends up contaminated with water and almost
completely alcohol-free.

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Philippines

--
Remember September 11, 2001 but don't forget July 4, 1776

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM