From: Keith Addison
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 1:24 AM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] So, You Want to Buy a Green Car ... Or Do
You?

>I drove a BMW minicooper yesterday, and although it was cute, I
would not
>call 33mpg on premium unleaded "clean".........

Hi Steve

You want to take it out on a really tight and twisty mountain
road
that you know really well.

Wait a mo while I shift gear... right, Old Fart mode... These
young
people of today - "yesterday" he drove one. I drove one in 1963.
Hot
little thing, then, handled really nicely. The Minis were
introduced
in 1959, replacing the old Morris Minor, which is a sort of
4-wheeled
equivalent of a DC-3 Dakota. Start to consider that level of
technology a bit and you get to thinking it's all improved a
helluva
lot since then, but somehow everything's gone steeply downhill,
and
could these two things have something to do with each other? If
you
really like KISS and AT, maybe you'll stop with the Dakota and
the
Morris Minor. Do they still make Morris Minors in India? They
were,
until recently. Elsewhere they're collector's items.

Anyway, the Mini replaced it, and cost at the time 499 British
pounds
sterling (about a thousand dollars?). 850cc 4-cylinder, the
Cooper
version was 1,000cc, much faster. I had a Mini, my first car. I
had
another one a few years later, working on a newspaper in
Johannesburg. I used to go to Cape Town for the weekend, one
thousand
miles, put my foot down and took it off again when I got there
12-13
hours later. Need big cars for big distances? Nope.

The Mini and the Mini Cooper were made by an old company called
Austin that had recently merged with another old company called
Morris, and finally became BMC (British Motor Corporation), and
then
died. The story of British industry.

What's really interesting about the Mini is the design. It was a
real
trend-setter, the first transverse-engine front-wheel drive, and
the
basic design has hardly changed in more than 40 years, just
steadily
improved. The only comparison I can think of is the VW Beetle.
Beetle
owners and Mini owners hated each other.

So why change models every year? Could it be perhaps just
marketing
and a packaging job? I think that's a strong point in the Mini
Cooper's favour. In deciding which car's green and which isn't
the
eco-costs of manufacturing ought to be considered, and this kind
of
design continuity surely lowers those costs. So, though the fuel
economy isn't that great (it never was -  was surprised to see it
rating "green" in that story), it might be cleaner than it looks
at
first.

The Japanese love Mini Coopers, by the way.

Regards

Keith

>Steve Spence
>Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
>http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm
>
>Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/
>Human powered devices, equipment, and transport -
>http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/2000/humanpower.htm
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
You?

> > http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12917
> > AlterNet --
> > So, You Want to Buy a Green Car ... Or Do You?
> > Allie Gottlieb, Metro Silicon Valley
> > http://www.metroactive.com
> > April 19, 2002

Service.