Ken,

We're in kind of the same boat as yourself. We've got a little
over 100 gallons of hemp oil FFAs from the ~1,200 gallons of oil
processed last summer.

As the stuff is a little out of the ordinary, we're not going to
have much problem getting rid of it as an ingredient in all
veggie bio-candles.

The problem's going to be when we start producing WVOon a larger
scale.

I'm processing a liter of the glycerin that was recovered from
last week's acid/base reactions as I write this, treating it with
phosphoric 5ml at a time until no more precipitate forms
(potassium phosphate). I'm hoping that no or almost no FFAs come
out of solution. First guess is that the glycerin from an
acid/base is going to be considerably darker than glycerin
recovered from a straight base reaction, as most of the colorant
goes with the FFAs when it separates. If there are considerably
less FFAs in the glycerin layer of an acid/base, it stands to
reason that the glycerin will be darker.

Then what to do with it? It's going to be considerably less
appealing in that state than the hemp glycerin. I suppose you
could always use your FFAs to fuel an evaporation/distillation
unit for the glycerin....lose one co-product but refine another.

Anyway, none of this is exactly textbook chemistry at the moment,
as most of the equipment is down the road in the chemist's lab.
Just trying to get on a track that he can pursue to the infinite
degree .

We'll see...

Todd