>> IMO, Linux could be more widespread if its advocates had gotten over
>> their infatuation with their own genius and written slam-dunk
>> *windows* applications for the more-seemless transition to Linux.
>>

>   Well, sorry, but "windowizing" linux is just exactly what a lot of us don't
>want. I don't care if a lot of people don't use it, I'm not really
>proselytizing
>it. I realized a long time ago that most people don't want to spend the time
>learning how to run it -- which is why I don't understand why those same people
>don't buy Macs, since they certainly are much easier to learn and use, are more
>intuitive, just plain are more robust and reliable. That's why computer stores
>don't push Macs -- they get a lot more support and xtra money out of windoze
>boxes. And likewise, network people don't like them because supporting a Mac
>network is so easy (the industry standard is that a Mac network tech can
>support
>2-3 times as many machines as a windoze network tech. Consequently the Mac
>network people don't get paid well, either.

You have not understood my suggestion.  I have not suggested any
window-izing of anything except the initial installation in those
terribly rare instances when a windows pc owner may dare to be
interested in installing Linux.  IMO, a good way to get a windows user
to be able to consider using Linux is to write a windows app that
might help guide windows users through the process.  They have bought
windows because it was user friendly, they might try a program which
is friendly as well.  At least the Linux program could be provided in
a compressed format that is not unintelligible to windows users.  Just
a smidgeon more user-friendliness to windows users would be one of the
deadliest things that could be done to diminish the Windows beast,
perhaps equally as deadly as giving StarOffice away, but Mr. Gates
probably goes to bed laughing about this rather than fearing it,
because Linux advocates are so full of the virtue of their hero that
it is the last thing they will ever do.  In this respect, they impede
its spread rather than aid it, IMO.

It was never once suggested to me (that I recall) that I buy and set
up a separate drive when I attempted installation.  I do in fact do
occassional backups, which is why I said I lost only 50% of my data.
Doing a full backup seemed at the time prohibitively expensive and
inconvenient.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.