From: Ken Provost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] glycerine use

Paddy at Goat writes:

>As with a lot of info on the net, there seems to be a lot of
contradictions.
>Glycerin has been said to be a valuable biproduct, but retails
at £750.00
>per tonne (GBP) ex Albion chemicals, UK, which is not that
fantastic for
>the producer. Other possibilities discussed have been for
fertiliser (not a
>good option for myself) or as a furnace fuel for heating oil for
drying or
>getting to reaction temperature. Nobody seems to have come
forward with
>a good design for the furnace, which would involve preheating
the fuel to
>about 500 degrees C to get a clean burn, but I peronnally think
this is the
>best option and intend to persue this avenue. My stock pile of
glycerine
>are beginning to become a problem and i don't want to dump it as
waste.

The one I find ironic is "use your glycerine to make soap", as if
glycerine is
a component, rather than a byproduct, of soap manufacture. It's
true that
traditional soapmakers leave the glycerine in there, but that's
largely because
it's so hard to remove it. It's also true that the glycerine
phase
left over after
making biodiesel will wash things, but that's because of the SOAP
in there,
not because of the glycerine. A LITTLE glycerine in your soap
makes it softer
and a better emollient, but I get much better results with half
tallow and
half extracted FFA's. That makes for less glycerine and better
soap, but
doesn't help with glycerine disposal :-)

I regard the glycerine as a total nuisance, but since it's just a
simple sugar
and quickly biodegrades, I don't hesitate to compost it or flush
it, once the
soap and alkali have been neutralized.

Please do NOT send &quot;unsubscribe&quot; messages to the list
address.

Service.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.