From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 7:38 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Organic Farming and Ethanol Energy Ratios

>Try and buy real food at the store that is not already processed?  I now
>shop at a health food store, because I can't find real food in the
>markets.  Things like bran to make muffins.

I'm thankful to live in a civilization making its growing pain efforts
to become modern, and that to some extent food in general is
dramatically easier for me to work for and acquire than for some of my
ancestors.

That said, I certainly quite strongly agree that a big trend seems to
be a rather bizarre inability to identify something called "food"
amongst the offerings at the nice shiny grocery chains down the
street.  Oh, it's there, but it's a bit of a brain-twister at times to
separate the food from the High Fructose Corn Syrup and
God-Knows-What-All.  But I have some other food distributor choices in
this neighborhood, and I'm glad of it.

The way you put it reminded me of something my stepmother said when I
visited my family in NYC a few months ago: in her opinion, it wasn't
as easy as she had thought it would be to find a good affordable
kosher butcher that she really liked.  She had just moved to that area
and she takes a lot of time and trouble in her food preparation and
has tended to really dig in and find a good solid source for certain
foods.  I don't think it's a question of keeping strict kosher (she's
not orthodox) but of finding a butcher whose food is consistently
clean, fresh, and consistently prepared according to rules that seem
to make more sense than not.

Now of course, here we are three thousand years later and if nutrition
and health are the issues and not satisfying a book or an older view
of God, then one could do better than the laws of Kosher, but it is
interesting to note for a second that it's perhaps the case that mixed
in with the primitive laws of kosher, a good butcher in being
consistent and conscientious to his rules, probably puts forth meat
that one can trust as much as or more than the next guy's.

While it is not a big mission for me to stick to organic food, and I'm
not a vegetarian, one thing I have been wondering about is finding a
way to consume meat where the animals have not been grossly
mistreated.  I wonder if there's a standard for a certain level of
raising them, certain rules as to their confinement, etc.  So many of
the health food efforts seem to coincide with vegetarian, so I haven't
run across this.  I also haven't run across many restauraunts (around
here in my neighborhood) exploring these issues.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,