Richard,

While many of your facts are indisputable, I'm going to differ
with you severly on several of the matters that you present.

The first is the representation that GWB's (#43's) energy policy
is "responsible." A policy heavily weighted towards new
production in fossil fuels - primarily coal and oil (including
production in environmentally sensitive areas (as if there are
any areas that are not - go figure!), extended licensure of aging
nuclear plants, fast track for more nuclear power (eliminates
most public comment), relegation of negawatts to inconsequential
status and perpetuation of the gross subsidy imbalance for AE
relative to fossil fuels are just a few of the highlights.

The principle (no mis-spelling) reason for Congress not passing
Mr. Bush's policy is its high degree of irresponsibility. To vote
in favor of the policy is to vote for massive new production at
the expense of a planet and its peoples (in order to attain "self
sufficiency). To vote against it is to perpetuate the present
cycle of dependence upon imports, which will eventually force the
formulation of an energy policy that is considerably more
weighted towards efficiency, AE, appropriate technologies and
conservation.

In essence, perpetuation of the status quo will sooner force a
crisis, which will dictate radical and immediate changes in order
to continue to meet demand, much less future demand. This "no
vote policy" is considerably more far sighted than Mr. Bush's
near sighted policy. Painful and seemingly irresponsible in the
short term, but no more so than Mr. Bush's in the short and long
term. One would think that supposed adults would have the common
sense to avoid a crisis while at the same time effecting a
responsible energy policy. Apparently not if the self-servance of
US politics is any indicator.

One might note that GHWB (#41) accomplished more towards the goal
of cleaner energy and energy efficiency by signing EPACT than
does GW II with his existing policy. Granted, cleaner energy and
energy efficiency are not the same as self sufficiency. But they
are integral parts of it.

You also state that the US national debt of $6 trillion is
entirely attributable to oil imports over time. While you are
correct that a responsible energy policy effected 1/4 century ago
would have foregone many of the costs which have contributed to
the national debt, their total sum over 25 years are not the
primary source of the national debt. Gross fiduciary
irresponsibility by politicians in the full spectrum of the
people's business is the primary cause. One should take note that
the trend in annual increases in US national debt correlates more
directly with particular administrations, rather than the steady
stream of successive years of foreign oil consumption.

Mind you, even had the US and other nations spent the last 1/4
century moving steadily and without pause in the direction of
efficiency, conservation and AE, most of the expenditures made
for protecting foreign oil would have been initiated for the very
same reasons already on the books - national and international
security - as the potential for crippled national and entwined
international economies would still exist to one degree or
another.

Again, I will say that many of your facts and premises are in
order. Yet several of your considerations appear to have a rather
un-even, heavy handed intent and inaccurate foundation. What you
choose to dismiss is that the present day results of US energy
policy are the accumulation of all efforts and lack of effort of
the entire body politic - all parties and all peoples at all
levels for the past 1/4 century and longer - not simply one
faction or one party as you would represent or have another
believe.

Still looking forward to seeing the true costs of petroleum fuels
being represented at the pumps - $5 - $6 a gallon,

Todd Swearingen