Thanks for the tip on the book, I will be reading it.  I picked my land
by what 'weeds' were growing, lots of clover.  I do my landscaping with
what grows wild, trumpet vines, passion flower vines, morning glories
and of course dewberries and wild grapes.  It is amazing how little time
I have to spend on keeping things alive.

This last weekend I bought a lamb, on the hoof, from someone who does
grass-fed sheep and cattle.  By the time it was in the freezer, it cost
me $2.34 per pound.  Ground lamb is $3.99/lb. at the local Kroger, the
only place that carries it.  This idea is not only good for the
environment and my health, it can be very good for the pocket book.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Keith Addison wrote:

> Do it again next month, Kim. Not teasing, I mean it! We talk a lot
> about local issues, about food miles, local production, small farms
> (and also at Journey to Forever), and it's all part of the unfolding
> biofuels issue.
>
> By the way, have you read that book? Very well worth a read:
>
> "Weeds -- Guardians of the Soil" by Joseph A. Cocannouer, Devin-Adair, 1950.
> Professor Cocannouer, who taught biology and conservation for 50
> years, demonstrates how the controlled use of weeds is sound ecology,
> good conservation and a boon to the gardener and farmer. Weeds as
> indicators of soil conditions, weeds as companion plants, weeds as
> hay and fodder, for opening up the subsoil, remineralizing the
> topsoil, for restoring worn-out and eroded land. A wise and
> liberating book! Full text online:
> http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/weeds/WeedsToC.html
>
> Best
>
> Keith