Western Morning News:
 Financial Times Information Limited - Europe Intelligence Wire

 America gassed up on maize-based auto fuel
 August 7, 2002 4:07pm

http://hoovnews.hoovers.com/fp.asp?layout=displaynews&doc_id=NR20020807670.4_fd3e001bdf5b800f

 RSPB South West policy officer Mark Robins is on a fact-finding tour
 of the USA TRAVELLING around the American Mid-West,
 it's quite normal now to pull into a petrol (gas!) station
 and have the option of buying an ethanol-based fuel.

 OK, so its only ten per cent by bulk - but this maize-based fuel
 is hitting it big time here. Last week a shiny new ethanol plant
 owned by a co-operative of corn and soya bean farmers
 in Cottonwood County, Minnesota was pointed out to me.

 Located next to the railway line (yes, the railway still exists)
 for ease of shipping, I thought this was something
 to stimulate the minds back home. Here's an industrial revolution
 in which petroleum-based resources are replaced with
 annually-renewable ones, such as corn and other plant materials.

 As an industrial revolution alone this story paints a way forward,
 a third option for the commodity farmers in the Beans and Corn Belt.
 Add to this the potentials to get into the renewables business
 and we start to get the double whammy policy makers are continually searching
for.

 It's the business and environment agenda that interests me
 and should make the rural enterprise community sit up in England.

 In the US, bio-industrial development in plant matter-based materials
 and products is expected to grow to $470 billion dollars by the end of this
decade.
 The business includes ethanol production, biodiesel,
 carbohydrate-based industrial goods, and bio plastics.

 I'm no man for agri-business, but if we were to take this road in the South
West
 surely we would want to see these products manufactured in ways that
 protected the environment, enhanced rural communities and provided
 positive economic benefits to farmers and other local businesses.

 To do this there is some ground-breaking work to be got right.
 Each stage of the production, manufacturing, distribution, and disposal of
 bio-based industrial products, will significantly affect
 our environment, our economy and our communities.

 Surely we should want to avoid an emerging carbohydrate economy
 being just as destructive as the current petroleum dominated economy?
 Starting with the consumers, it is exactly this possibility
 of the economic, social, and ecological win-win-win that would attract
 many customers to bio-based products. These positive attributes
 are key to engaging widespread public interest
 and getting the Government interested in such products.

 A growing number of buyers are attracted to bio-based products
 and investors are showing a preference to the companies that make them.
 They want their purchases to be directed towards protecting the environment,
 and supporting local producers and the overall economy.

 Turning the possibility of sustainability into reality is critical to
 gaining and maintaining consumer confidence in a new carbohydrate economy.
 One critical component will be the development and implementation of
 industry-wide standards that are based on the idea of
 the "triple bottom line" - economic, ecological, and community sustainability.
 Standards are tedious things, but let's get this one right. The strength of
 the organic sector in the UK has been its unambiguous focus on standards.
 At the farm level, bio-production standards must ensure that
 the feedstocks are being grown, processed, and transported in ways that
 protect the environment, promote the economic well-being of the producers
 and enhance the communities affected by production.
 Manufacturers of plastics made of maize, switchgrass/mesocanthus,
 or other agricultural products, will be able to use these standards to ensure
 that the environmental benefits of their products are doubly enhanced
 by the environmental benefits of sustainably produced raw materials
 for bio-based products. These standards are the route to that market advantage.
 Where will these standards emerge from? A wide range of bodies, including
 the RSPB, are developing approaches for other farming sectors.

 Maybe this would be a good one for a progressive alliance of farming and
environmental groups.

``

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/RN.GAA/FGYolB/TM