Dear Shaji,

This is estimated in several ways, depending on who is doing
the estimates. The most usual value is Known Oil Reserves divided
by Yearly Oil Production (R/P), which theoretically should give
you the number of years that you can continue to produce oil.
In this case it is no considerations taken to new discoveries of
oil or the cost (price) to recover the oil. The value today is around
33 years. The consumption today is around 30 gigabarrels and the
known oil reserves around 1,000 gigabarrels.

You can also include an estimate on the undiscovered oil reserves,
based on geological conditions and past experiences. This is of
course much more difficult. If you look at the last 7 years, the new
discoveries have been 10 gigabarrels a year. Assuming that this
continue, the R/P is around 50 years. If we suddenly make a very
big discovery, things will change.

The geological experts are trying to make estimates on how large
the unknown reserves are, based on the natural conditions that
are needed for the oil to develop. Of course, this is a matter of
interpretations and they come up with different numbers. At the
moment the lowest estimates are 1,000 gigabarrels and the
highest 3,000 gigabarrels. This give R/P of 67 years to 133 years.

Consumption effects the production and if you include the rate
of growth of production, it effect the R/P. DOE and the Europeans
estimate that we will have a production of around 42 gigabarrel
year 2020. If you include the growth the R/P will be 40 to 80 years,
depending on your beliefs on unknown oil reserves.

Oil reserves exist under different conditions in nature. From pockets
of clean oil to different kind of geological mixtures. The kind
of deposit will greatly effect the cost of getting it. This is not considered
in the R/P values. It is numbers that point to an around 40%
availability of oil reserves at current cost levels. Considering this,
the oil reserves will never be finished, since it will always be a rest
that have an unacceptable cost to retrieve. This number will be
varying with development of new retrieval technologies.

In the 50s a Professor Hubbert developed calculation methods for
determining peak production of finite resources (Hubberts Peak).
When the first oil crises came 1973, he was asked to do calculations
for oil and he presented this to the US congress. As a part of his
testimony, he testified that US reserves passed peak production
1972, the North Sea would pass peak production 1992 and the
Middle East 2002. His predictions have been quite accurate so far.
If you compare peak production figures with the consumption
estimates, it is no space for the 2020 estimates from DOE and
the Europeans. In fact, US need to take more of the possible
production and this is contra dictionary to a development in
the third world. On the other hand, the oil reserves are outside
of US and it might take military persuasion to keep the oil flowing
in that direction. The Iraq situation is a part of this also, US must
show that they are serious against threats and oil supply is included
but not mentioned.

I hope that the above is a good start for you, if you want to study this
questions.

Hakan

At 07:49 AM 9/4/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>when are we going to exhaust fossil fuels, can any one tell me how
>scientifically this is estimated.
>Shaji
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuels list archives:
>http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
>Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
>To unsubscribe, send an email to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM