Christopher,

The first nuclear power plant in Sweden was only 10-15 km from the
center of Stockholm, the largest city. It was retired long before the
referendum and it is not many who realize or remember this.

Years ago, when we were working with control of stress calculations
for the last nuclear power plants in Sweden, ASEA actually worked on
development of a nuclear reactor for placement in cities. It was not a
really bad idea, but with the referendum they halted further development.

The idea was to have small low temperature reactors for hot water heating
of cities, with low grade fuel. Going down to 80-90 centigrade water and
low grade fuel, means that you have to divide the already low risk factor
with a few thousands more and a far less of waste problem. The fuel
could easily be recycled or stored without risks.

Personally I think, that if we can avoid nuclear power plants for generation
electricity by steam, it is good. But without accidents the environmental
costs and effects are the smallest. Proved by an recent EU investigation
of the real costs for energy. I also think that what we do with fossil fuels
like oil and coal, have the same or larger long term effects that of many
nuclear accidents. Nuclear is not a viable solution anyway, because it is
a finite resource and would only buy some time. Renewable is better.

Hakan

At 08:12 PM 9/6/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>That reminds me of the sarcastic title of an anti fission energy book
>published several years ago in Japan, "Build a Nuke Plant in Tokyo"
>("Tokyo ni Genpatsu wo"). The title was playing with the logic of the
>assertion that fission nuclear energy is absolutely clean, safe and
>reliable -- if that's really true, then why not build them smack dab in
>the middle of the major electrical consumption centers and thus cut down
>on the substantial transmission losses (not to mention the expense of
>building and maintaining the lengthy transmission lines)? Of course, the
>suggestion was not a big hit with the powerco execs and engineers; all
>the nuclear power plants are still way out in the countryside.
>
>Christopher Witmer
>
>kirk wrote:
>

> >>SNOWMASS, Colo., Sept. 4 (AScribe Newswire) -- A new book called
> >>Small Is Profitable: The Hidden Economic Benefits of Making
> >>Electrical Resources the Right Size shows the electric power
> >>industry why appropriately sizing (and siting) electrical production
> >>can be more profitable than building large, centrally located power
> >>plants. . . These gains are realized through improved system
> >>planning, utility construction and operation, and service quality,
> >>and by avoiding societal costs.
>

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuels list archives:
>http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
>Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
>To unsubscribe, send an email to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM