>Keith,
>
>Since I was in to war anyway, I am pretty sure that the Germans
>made the V1 as noisy as they possibly could. They were very
>aware of the psychological effect of sound. They tested this
>first in Guernica during the Spanish civil war.
>
>That is why they mounted sirens in the Stuka attack bomber.
>The noise that we often hear in WW2 films when an airplane
>attack, is not at natural sound. The effect came from the sirens
>in the Stuka. Film makers like this kind of effects, therefore the
>sound became a synonym for attacking airplanes of all sorts.
>They use it even today.
>
>I have never been able to create or heard this kind of noise from
>a diving airplane. Not even from advanced military aerobatics on
>an air show.
>
>Hakan

Hi Hakan

I think the most recent example may have been "Enemy at the Gates",
very effective. And Guernica the most infamous example.

A similar technique was used by the South Africans in their bush war
in Angola to cause panic. They had a lot of old Harvard trainers
(North American T6 Texan), no sirens, but really noisy things -
having a couple of Harvards going overhead at low altitude was like
being hit by a club.

I'm sure you're right about the Germans deliberately making the V1
noisy. Londoners heard it coming, then the engine would cut out -
where would it land? The V2s were different - no warning at all, just
the explosion. Even more terrifying.

Anyway, great, no sinister ramjets in Swedish domestic boiler rooms,
nor Stukas I'm sure.

Regards

Keith

>At 02:20 PM 9/6/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>
> >Hakan said "The principle is a propulsion engine (like the ones in
> >the V1 second world war missile)..."
> >
> >That's a ramjet. Yes, noisy. The Brits could sure hear them coming.
> >
> >But Hakan says they were used in homes - or did he? Was it for home
> >use, Hakan? Sure looks like it. From what I know of Nordic homes, a
> >ramjet in the kitchen wouldn't be a big hit, so maybe Pulsonex solved
> >the noise problem. It sounds very interesting.
> >
> >Keith

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM