Hello Marcel

>never heard of ethanol gel. would be very interested in getting a
>recipe.

Well, I just posted one.

"Mix 11 grams of Calcium Acetate with 30 mg of water. Make sure all
the Calcium Acetate
is dissolved, this might take an hour of occasional stirring. Measure
10 mg of the solution. Slowly add 40 mg of ethanol. As you add the
ethanol, the mixture should gel instantly. Pour off any remaining
ethanol (a very small amount). Because the mixture gels instantly,
you do not have to combine the two until you need to use it for
cooking."

I made some Calcium Acetate by neutralizing acetic acid with lime.
Works well, gels immediately, burns very nicely, but it's not very
stable, best to make it when you need it. This way, since it's
bioduels in the Third World rural development setting that we're most
interested in, everything required is probably available locally, or
could be. Ethanol can be brewed on-site (and probably is already),
even if it's not absolute; acetic acid can be brewed the same way, by
aerating the mash, and agricultural lime is fairly ubiquitous.

Here's another one, with proprietory ingredients:

Ethanol Solid Fuel Gel / Fire Starter

Carbopol EZ-3 Polymer á Primary thickener for alcohol systems -
neutralization with a specific amine is critical
á Provides good clarity and overall aesthetics
á Low skinning & cracking
á Approximate burn time of 2.5 hours per 200 grams
á Self-wetting polymer for improved handling and easier full-scale processing

Formulation
Percent Function Trade Name Supplier
Carbopol EZ-3 - Weight Percent 0.55 - Thickener - Noveon, Inc.
DI Water - Weight Percent 23.90 - Diluent
Ethanol - Weight Percent 75.00 - Fuel
Triisopropanolamine - Weight Percent 0.55 - Neutralizing agent - Dow Chemical
100.00

Procedure
1. Add the Carbopol EZ-3 polymer to the deionized water with no
agitation. The polymer will wet out in a few minutes.
2. With moderate agitation, add the ethanol.
3. Heat the triisopropanolamine until melted and add with good
agitation. The product will thicken during this step.
Increased agitation will be required.

>check out this funny "ask umbra" relating to the most
>ecofriendly way to grill. it came from grist magazine, an online
>environmental publication that does a pretty decent job of reporting.
>
>http://www.gristmagazine.com/ask/ask090602.asp?souce=count

Have you seen her view of diesels?

http://www.gristmagazine.com/ask/ask081502.asp?source=daily#diesel
Grist | Ask Umbra | Auto pilot | 15 Aug 2002

Let's recall some stale high school stereotypes: the cruel football
player and the catty cheerleader. Diesel oil is the football player
-- big, strong, lunk-headed, unwashed, and mean. Gasoline is the
cheerleader: slimmer, well-groomed, and socially manipulative.
They're both toxic to the school atmosphere, but people are more
inclined to avoid the bully, because he is more immediately
physically hazardous.

In California, diesel exhaust is listed as a known carcinogen, is the
most significant source of airborne toxins, and accounts for 70
percent of the cancer risk from air pollution. So, we can see what
your neighbors to the south think of your decision.

As for the refining process: When you refine a barrel of crude oil,
you get some gasoline, some diesel, and some other stuff, including
such nasties as chlorinated wastewater and the gaseous chemical
byproducts of combustion. It's all the same process, so you can't
avoid the manufacture of diesel by buying only gasoline. The toxics
created by oil refineries are bad for the environment at large and
disproportionately affect the people -- mainly poor people -- who
live nearby. Good ol' Environmental Defense gives a pithy description
of the environmental impact of refineries and suggestions for actions
to get them cleaned up.

Although refinery pollution is bad, pollution from vehicles is
considered a more pressing environmental issue, as most of us are
closer to the tailpipe than to the smoke stack. As we toodle along
the road, our tailpipe exhales carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides,
hydrocarbons, and sulfur dioxide. Such chemicals bring us ozone,
particulate matter, acid rain, nitrification of water bodies,
respiratory ailments, lung disease, cancer, smog, and of course
climate change; these are the shadows that trail behind our cars.

Diesel engines are more culpable than gasoline on almost all counts.
This is in part because diesel is dirtier. Also, gasoline-powered
engines have been targeted for cleanup in the past several decades,
with regulatory standards such as unleaded gas and the catalytic
converter resulting in somewhat cleaner emissions. Diesel is just
beginning that process, but currently, the allowable emissions from
diesel exhaust are rather horrifying.

By way of summation, all diesel cars are considered 'inferior' in the
ACEEE's Green Book, mentioned above. I feel this may not be welcome
news to you. My apologies.

Yours truly,
Umbra

Yours even more truly