If you, or someone else, has some real-world data on your mileage using some
well-defined mainstream sort of biodiesel, then I'd like to look at including
it, if the data is well-kept.  We'd need to have a good idea of the MJ/gallon of
that particular type of biodiesel, so as to calculate MJ/mile or mile/MJ.  Then,
if the data is kept on a car that has a standardized original engine for which
there is EPA data for the whole system we could also post that data next to it,
and make a note that, regardless of which is more energy efficient, the
biodiesel is of a far more sustainable approach, has lower net CO2 emissions,
amounts to recycling of waste in some cases, maybe with a link for where folks
can buy some and have it delivered, etc.

>Automotive gasoline has an energy density of 34.2 MJ/liter, while
>automotive diesel fuel is 38.6 MJ/liter. There are 3.78541 liters per
>gallon, so gasoline's energy density is 129.46 MJ/gallon, while diesel's
>is 146.12 MJ/gallon.
>
>So, with the TDI engine, you can go 50 miles (highway) on 146.12 MJ, so
>you use 2.922 MJ/mile. With the gasoline engine, it's 30 miles (highway)
>on 129.46 MJ, so that's 4.315 MJ/mile. So, with the diesel engine in that
>car, you are using 32% less energy per mile. Hm, looks more efficient to
>me. So, measuring efficiency on miles per unit energy (actually, I
>calculated energy/mile, but same thing, just flip it over), diesels (at
>least the TDI) are a good deal more efficient.
>       The fact is, gasoline engines are around 25-30% efficient. Modern
>diesel engines are in the 50%+ range in use, with some research programs
>getting efficiencies up to 65% on new engines under development.
>       And when you factor in that diesels can run on biodiesel so there
>is no net CO2 emission, it's a HUGE difference in terms of pollution/mile.

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM