Hello Keith

I have tried two times to respond and my AOL program crashed both times,
losing all my comments.  Will try once more.  --  I agree, no need to patent
if you are satisfied with existing tehnology,   available in the public
domain.  If you develop a new technology that is patentable, you can publish
it; then, if you don;t take any action to publish, it reverts to the public
domain, or used to last time I heard.  Government Agencies and National Labs
used to do this all the time.

Depends upon your intent.  IIntent of the drug companies is quite different.
They patent everything and only actively market those products that are under
current patents.  That way drugs like saw palmetto, which do more for
enlarged prostate than newer drugs,. never get pushed.  FDA did a study
recently, so I remember, concluding that only about 10 percent of the newer
drugs were more effective than the older drugs, most of which were not still
under patent.  Biodiesel isn't like that.  Perhaps my background as a former
chemical process development engineer is showing through; some processes do
not need to be more efficient.   Under different conditions, however,  where
you are seeking large amounts of venture capital money, these venture
capitalists will usually, if not invaribly, expect to see patents.

Glenn E

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM