>The authors identified MTBE as a "rapidly spreading
>groundwater contaminant" and discussed the option that "MTBE could be
>abandoned as an additive in gasoline stored underground" or that gas
>with MTBE "be stored only in double-contained facilities." The Maine
>Paper was perhaps the earliest warning from government health
>officials about the dangers of MTBE. To the oil companies, it was a
>call to arms. Documents show that even as they were internally
>disseminating this study and treating its findings seriously, the oil
>companies joined forces to attack the study's authors and the
>article's "damage" in an effort to discredit their findings and
>downplay the risks of MTBE.

Think they're not powerful?  Think they're not decades ahead of us?

16 years ago they were out there attacking, knowing the truth, making
sure it was discounted and discredited, making sure the truth's
authors were attacked.  Aside from being an informative article on a
number of points, this paragraph is an unexpected explicit
documentation of the power and commitment of our enemies to lobbying
against any hint of setting things straight in such a case that might
damage them, in a relatively obscure setting: lest we be complacent.

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM