Hello Keith

You wrote:

>Cheaper, interesting - because of local production from sugar? Is
>anyone doing this there Juan?

Yes Keith, a Chemical Eng. M.Sc. Carlos Buttner, former teacher at the
Faculty of Chemistry, he had a small detergent plant named HARDY, now he
added a small Biodiesel production facility, it is production capacity less
than 2 ton/day. I know he is building another bigger one.

There were some articles on the local newpapers after the Mayor of Asuncion
anounced that the he wants the bus companies to use BD 20 as a means to
diminish the pollution from petroleum diesel particles and the cost of the
fuel. One of those bus companies is the Line 25, they  were testing the
performance of BD 20 in their busses. After this I talked to Buttner and he
told me he was very bussy doing BD at this moment for that bus company.

In fact it is cheaper to use here BD 20 or even better BD 100 compared to
petroleum diesel, and the some agricultural cooperatives that produces and
exports large quantities of soybeams (Paraguay in year 2000 ranked fourth
2.5 Millio Metric Tons in soy beams exports after US, Brazil and Argentina;
Soy Stats 2001 p. 44 on  SoyGrowers.com ) are interested to produce large
quantities for their tractors, the aim is to reduce the fuel cost, see:

http://www2.uhora.com.py/vida/vida_219/diesel.htm

It is in Spanish but I think all of you could do a Google translation to
read it in you own language.

One newpaper from Peru has some news on the same:
http://www.elcomercioperu.com.pe/Online/Html/2002-09-29/OnlEconomia4175.
html

Buttner is using  100% Ethanol produced at the state owned Petroleos
Paraguayo's Ethanol Plant in Mauricio Jose Troche, it has a big alcohol
distillery, it was designed for the production of E95 and anhydrous ethanol
to use as  a mixt with gasoline at 8 - 10% Ethanol.

Others, like a recycling company is preparing a bigger BioD plant and maybe
that will be ready in the near future.

http://www.ecoindustria.com/recicladats.html
Reciclajes del Paraguay, S.A.
 Telf.: (595-21) 500-194/500-039.
 Telefax: (595-21) 507-866.
 Prof. Conradi 1605 c/ Eusebio Ayala
Asuncion- Paraguay.

Keith wrote:
>By the way, do you know if Paraguay is sending a delegation to the
>1st. International Organic Conference "Opportunities and challenges
>in a global world", at Oaxaca in Mexico on 24-25 October? Midori, my
>wife, and partner in Journey to Forever, will be there as Japan's
>representative, making a presentation and so on, and she's looking to
>make friends among organics people in Latin America. Japan is a huge
>market for organic food imports, though not an easy one to get into.

Sorry, I asked among some of my friends working with organics sweetners and
I could not find if there is someone to attend that International Organic
Conference.

About organic food exports to Japan, there was a front page report in the
Diario ABC from Sunday, September 8, 2002; it says in Spanish "Indigenas
del Chaco exportan al Japon". It translated means: "Aborigins from the
Paraguayan Chaco exports to Japan"

It is about the export of 650 metric Tons of sesame seed with an income for
them of US $ 226,605.

It stated with only 68 Ha. in 98's with 166 producers and now there are
2300 Ha. and 1351 producers in one the dryest region of my country (this
week max. temperatures were in the 40 -43 Celsius range).

Regards.

Juan

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM