On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:51:12 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>check it out:
>http://www.gristmagazine.com/daily/daily103102.asp#2?source=stealth

Thx.  The article seemed about the same, but they also provided this
link:

http://www.cleanschoolbus.org/

At that site is:

>Alternatives do exist. School buses powered by natural gas and other
>alternative fuels emit significantly lower levels of soot and smog-forming
>pollution. New low-emission diesel buses are also becoming available. To
>ensure that children travel in these cleaner buses, school districts need
>federal support.

and:

> È  Natural Gas -  Smog: 215 lbs/yr/bus
>Soot: 0.5 lbs/yr/bus
>

>È  New Diesel -  Smog: 322 lbs/yr/bus
>Soot: 5.6 lbs/yr/bus
>

>È  Average Diesel  -  Smog: 417 lbs/yr/bus
>Soot: 13.7 lbs/yr/bus

So, they do get into cleaner-diesel a bit, and aren't completely
anti-diesel, but I don't see anything on the page with the word
"biofuel".

Since school busses are a focus of the concerns of many anti-diesel
activists (kids and bad environment and so forth), and since at least
some of the nascient diesel efforts focus on making biodiesel
available to some school districts, I wonder why more clean-up-diesel
activism efforts aren't specifically aware of biodiesel and its
potential to clean up some exhaust, in the here and now, with little
or no hardware modification?  I think this is important: the potential
of biodiesel or other fuels to help with little or no hardware
modification is an important logistical advantage.

I know Southern States has been claiming for awhile to do some
biodiesel for a school district (though I don't trust them further
than I can throw a pound of fuel).

I'm sure the cleanschoolbus.org people must have been proseletyzed, by
now, on the virtues of biodiesel.  But in general, I think there is
more potential for the diesel-debating open-minded folks who are
looking for answers to have some discussion as to biofuels.

I'm not sure how much of an answer biofuels can provide, if there are
questions as to their plentitude, but I do think they could provide
more than their critics would have us believe, at first glance.

MM

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM