Keith writes:

>.....Personally (actually not just me, rather wide reservations
>have been expressed) I'm not very keen on the idea of sodium
>methoxide at 350 deg C at a pressure of 30 MPa (296.077 atmo-
>spheres, 2.176 tons/square inch). Not exactly something for
>the kitchen.

The ONE nice thing about this method is you don't need to use sodium
methoxide (or any other catalyst). The unusual conditions at
supercritical state cause the reaction to proceed quickly with just
alcohol and oil (plus a solvent in some versions). Still need big excess
of alcohol to drive the equilibrium -- even more than we do because the
glycerine doesn't drop out. The safety thing is still a concern, certainly
in ones garage, just because of the high T and P.