MM wrote:

<snip>

>I once spoke to an EV advocate who pointed out that, in a sense, our
>Oxygen on earth is a finite resource which is being used up as we burn
>up the finite resource of Oil.  I wonder if the general O2 percentage
>is dramatically lower today than it was 200 years ago.  There's no way
>to know this, though, in any commonly-available way.
>
>There have been some recent earth-science theories which seem to point
>to the release of O2 into the EArth atmosphere as a significant event
>which brought forth much more robust life on EArth, many hundreds of
>millions of years ago.  I.e., it helped explain why for so long much
>life didn't exist, and then relatively suddenly it started to thrive.
>I don't know if this theory is born out, but I also think of this when
>I see Oxygen percentages not even discussed or measured commonly.

Similar to your thoughts on hydrogen. I'd also like to know the answer to this.

I've seen the release of O2 into the Earth's atmosphere described as
the greatest catastrophe for life that ever happened, much worse than
the fate of the dinosaurs. It wiped out just about everything. Life
was mostly anaerobic prior to that, but for a small number of obscure
and struggling aerobes - weirdos that lived on explosive gas.
Suddenly there was only room for the weirdos, everyone else perished.
Now we all breathe this poisonous explosive stuff and think it's
normal.

Best

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM