Keith,

Thanks for the reminder on my CALL TO ACTION post.  Last week was a whirlwind
for me with an all-out effort to notify interested persons regarding the USDA
letter-writing campaign combined with trips to LA and Arizona and my son's
first birthday.  Don't worry- I would not be so crass as to post PR campaigns
on these discussion groups. I did think that this issue would be of interest to
biodiesel enthusiasts and thought it appropriate to try to rally the growing
number of grassroots biodiesel supporters.

Several key issues were raised in response to my post.  The first is, what does
it cost to make biodiesel.  The answer, of course, is that depends... It
depends on whether you are just looking at production costs or also including
labor and raw material costs.  A homebrewer apparently can make biodiesel at
about .50/gallon.  My understanding is that this figure just involves the cost
of the production equipment and assumes free raw material/feedstock.  It
doesn't include the cost of going to the restaurant to get the grease nor an
hourly labor charge during production.  With notable exceptions, it generally
does not result in ASTM-spec commercial grade biodiesel.

Commercial production has some significant differences.  Even yellow grease
feedstock has a collection cost plus production cost plus margins plus
marketing and transportation.  Soybean-based biodiesel has all of these costs
and typically a higher raw material cost.  Any commercial biodiesel must
compete with petroleum diesel and this is the underlying problem.  According to
Norman Myers and Jennifer Kent in Perverse Subsidies (see also the Sept/Oct.
issue of Ecolonomics in Action or the site without the article at
www.ecolonomics.org), taxpayers are subsidizing fossil fuels to the tune of $14
billion annually.  I don't know the basis for their numbers but do know that we
don't pay at the pump the true cost of petroleum fuel.

So the biodiesel industry, which has been rapidly growing and primarily soybean
based, is trying to hold onto its subsidy  program to compete with Big Oil.  I
think the solar analogy is a good one.  Solar bloomed on a large scale during
periods when it has received sound governmental support.  Does anyone who
considers environmental costs believe that coal or other fossil fuel power
generation is really more cost effective or fiscally sound than solar power?
We do need additional biodiesel feedstocks including yellow grease and these
plants are coming on line and will continue to grow if there is a market.  We
also need as much mutual support within the industry and in the burgeoning
grassroots movement as possible.  If folks want to do more, the American
Soybean Association's site is a good place to get more info and participate,
http://capwiz.com/soy/home/.  The National Biodiesel Board also has updates and
includes yellow grease producers as well as soybean ones, www.biodiesel.org.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the USDA program and PLEASE VOTE TODAY!

Happy Trails,

Graham